Sunday, June 26

Feed (Newsflesh #1)


Feed
Mira Grant

Publication Date: May 1, 2010

Date Read: June 26, 2011



From Goodreads:
In 2014, two experimental viruses—a genetically engineered flu strain designed by Dr. Alexander Kellis, intended to act as a cure for the common cold, and a cancer-killing strain of Marburg, known as "Marburg Amberlee"—escaped the lab and combined to form a single airborne pathogen that swept around the world in a matter of days. It cured cancer. It stopped a thousand cold and flu viruses in their tracks. 

It raised the dead. 

Millions died in the chaos that followed. The summer of 2014 was dubbed "The Rising," and only the lessons learned from a thousand zombie movies allowed mankind to survive. Even then, the world was changed forever. The mainstream media fell, Internet news acquired an undeniable new legitimacy, and the CDC rose to a new level of power. 

Set twenty years after the Rising, the Newsflesh trilogy follows a team of bloggers, led by Georgia and Shaun Mason, as they search for the brutal truths behind the infection. Danger, deceit, and betrayal lurk around every corner, as does the hardest question of them all: 

When will you rise?


After reading 'The Forest of Hands and Teeth' trilogy and loving it when I heard about Feed I instantly wanted to read it.
I was definitely surprised with the story as it is nothing like I expected it to be. When thinking about a post-apocalyptic zombie novel I automatically thought that the storyline would focus on humans fighting against the zombies and fighting to stay alive, don't get me wrong that is exactly one part of the novel but I was surprised by the fact that the main 'bad guys' in the book wasn't the zombie's at all but fellow humans.

Feed followd the story of Georgia and Shaun Mason and their team of professional bloggers. When they applied to follow the preasedential campaign and report it they couldn't imagine the danger that they would be put in. Not from being on the road where zombies can attack but from other politicians who will do anything to get in power, even acts of terrorism.

As very bad things start happening and their party is attacked by zombies not once but twice Georgia and Shaun know it cannot be a coincidence and will do anything to find out the truth. But that truth might just cost them their lives.

When I first started this book it was quite slow-going for me. I have never really read a book where the main story is political so I found it a little difficult to get into. However once I did get into it I couldn't put it down. I loved every moment of this book and I fell in love with the author's style of writing. The writing draws you in from the beginning and I honestly felt like I personally knew these characters and lived in this post-apocalyptic world.
By the end of this book I was in hysterical tears, I was so sad and I have cried at books before but never have I felt so much emotion while reading a book. I was so heartbroken I didn't know how I could go on reading. But I did and it was totally worth it. The ending of the book was just as good as the rest of the book and it was an amazing yet heartbreaking end. I read that when writing one particular scene the author cried while writing. I am not surprised the writing is so heartfelt and emotional that only a person who had a heart of stone would not cry at it.

I cannot praise this book enough. At the beginning I wasn't sure of the story but I am so glad that I kept reading. Definitely one of the best books I have read this year and I cannot wait to read the second book in the series.
However I cannot possibly read the second one straight away. I couldn't even write this review until a couple of hours after I had finished the book because I was so emotionally drained I could barely think straight let alone form coherent sentences.

If you like dystopian novels then this is definitely one for you. I wouldn't really class this as a YA dystopian, I would definitely class it as adult as the themes are much more darker but it is definitely worth the read.

Photobucket
Photobucket

1 comments:

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment