Thursday, June 2

Wither (Chemical Garden #1)


Wither
Lauren DeStefano


Publication Date: March 22, 2011



From Goodreads:
What if you knew exactly when you would die? 

Thanks to modern science, every human being has become a ticking genetic time bomb—males only live to age twenty-five, and females only live to age twenty. In this bleak landscape, young girls are kidnapped and forced into polygamous marriages to keep the population from dying out. 

When sixteen-year-old Rhine Ellery is taken by the Gatherers to become a bride, she enters a world of wealth and privilege. Despite her husband Linden's genuine love for her, and a tenuous trust among her sister wives, Rhine has one purpose: to escape—to find her twin brother and go home. 

But Rhine has more to contend with than losing her freedom. Linden's eccentric father is bent on finding an antidote to the genetic virus that is getting closer to taking his son, even if it means collecting corpses in order to test his experiments. With the help of Gabriel, a servant Rhine is growing dangerously attracted to, Rhine attempts to break free, in the limited time she has left.


I really enjoyed this book. I've heard mixed reviews and know some people were on the fence with it but I really loved it. 
I think the storyline is great and I love the new twist on a dystopian society.
Sixteen-year-old Rhine is took from her home and her twin brother and forced into a polygamous marriage with two other girls. This is completely normal in her society where there is a deadly virus that kills women at 20 and men at 25. Rhine despises her life now and all she wants is to get back to her brother, but can she really do it when her husband is being controlled by his first-generation father, and when she starts to have feelings for him.

I had such mixed feelings all the way through the book. I felt so much for Rhine as she was taken away from what was left of her family and then forced to marry someone she had never met. Linden was the character I had the most mixed feelings for because there were times when I truly hated him and then thought he wasn't so bad and then felt so sorry for him. Linden was being controlled so much by his father and really had no clue what was going on, and believed that he truly loved Rhine. 
I felt all of Rhine's confused feelings as she started to grow closer to Gabriel, the attendant and then started to develop feelings for Linden. It was such a great book and I felt so much while reading it.

The only thing with this book was that I felt the ending let the rest of the book down a bit. I was so glad with what happened at the end but it left so many questions that were arised throughout the book totally unanswered. Also the ending didn't really feel like an ending to me, it felt more like the end of a chapter. I can handle books with cliffhanger endings, but this wasn't a cliffhanger ending and it wasn't a resolved ending either, if just sort of stopped. I was like oh yey, i'm glad that happened and aww that's sweet but expected there to be something to come after that.

Overall, I really enjoyed Wither it's a great story and it only proved to me that I really love dystopian fiction. I will definitely be reading the next book when it comes out.


Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment