Monday, July 25

Review: A Walk to Remember

A Walk to Remember
Nicholas Sparks

Published By: Sphere
Publication Date: November 1, 2007
Date Read: July 24, 2011
Genre: Adult - Romance
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 170
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1054003.A_Walk_to_Remember

From Goodreads:
Every April, when the wind blows from the sea and mingles with the scent of lilacs, Landon Carter remembers his last year at Beaufort High. It was 1958, and Landon had already dated a girl or two. He even swore that he had once been in love. Certainly the last person in town he thought he'd fall for was Jamie Sullivan, the daughter of the town's Baptist minister. A quiet girl who always carried a Bible with her schoolbooks, Jamie seemed content living in a world apart from the other teens. She took care of her widowed father, rescued hurt animals, and helped out at the local orphanage. No boy had ever asked her out. Landon would never have dreamed of it. Then a twist of fate made Jamie his partner for the homecoming dance, and Landon Carter's life would never be the same. Being with Jamie would show him the depths of the human heart and lead him to a decision so stunning it would send him irrevocably on the road to manhood...

I've had this book for so long and didn't dare really start it. I love the movie interpretation of this book and found it so heartbreaking I didn't dare start the book so I did put it off for a while. I had very high expectations for this book as I am such a huge fan of Nicholas Sparks and love his writing style and his heartfelt stories.

However, it did not live up to my expectations. Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed reading the book and love the storyline. It's a beautiful story and it's so heartfelt and amazing, and so sad and heartbreaking. Nicholas Sparks could make the most cold-hearted person sad and cry, and I definitely cried while reading the end of this book. I did expect it as I knew how the story would end because of the movie.

I don't know whether it is because I saw the movie first but I was disappointed with the book. I felt that it was slightly rushed. As the book is only 170 pages I felt like it could have been so much better if it was longer. With it being short everything felt rushed. Whereas in the movie it is lovely and sweet and you see the development of Landon's and Jamie's relationship and you love them together I really didn't get that feeling with the book. I didn't find their relationship as convincing. It felt like Landon hated her and then ten-fifteen pages later he was completely in love with her. There was no romantic moments in between it was just hate-love straight away and I didn't feel like that was very convincing or realistic.
I liked Landon a lot more in the movie and found him less likeable in the book.

I still really liked the book and I will always love Nicholas Sparks the storyline was beautiful and heartfelt and he will always be one of my favourite chic lit authors.
A great story and I think if I'd read the book first maybe I would have liked it more.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment