Tuesday, August 30

Dead Beautiful (Dead Beautiful #1)

Dead Beautiful (Dead Beautiful #1)
Yvonne Woon

Publication Date: May 1, 2011
Date I Finished: August 30, 2011
From: Review Copy from Publishers
Format: Paperback
Pages: 512

From Goodreads:
At Gottfried Academy, just one kiss will take your breath away. After Renee discovers her parents dead in what appears to be a strange double murder, she is sent to Gottfried Academy, a remote and mysterious high school dedicated to philosophy, 'crude sciences', and Latin: the Language of the Dead. Here she meets Dante, a dark and elusive student who harbors a deadly secret, but to whom she feels inexplicably drawn. Despite himself, Dante cannot control his attraction to Renee either and their desires gradually deepen into a complex and dangerous romance. But Dante's not the only one with secrets...Gottfried Academy has a few of its own. When Renee begins to investigate the mysterious disappearance of a former student, she begins to realize just how deadly these secrets are...Dark romance meets haunting murder mystery in this captivating tale of love, death and destiny.

First of all I would like to say a big thank you to Usbourne Publishing for sending me a review copy of this book.
I really enjoyed this book. I wasn't sure what to think at first, the beginning is really sad and it's quite a strange storyline but once I got into it I ended up really starting to love the characters and the storyline.

Renee finds the bodies of her parents on her sixteenth birthday and doesn't believe that they died of natural causes despite the authorities confirming they had a heart attack. Left to the care of her grandfather Renee is enrolled into boarding school Gottfried Academy. However Gottfried is not a normal boarding school and Renee suddenly starts discovering secrets that have been buried for a long time. Then she meets Dante the beautiful mysterious boy who she seems drawn to. Neither one of them understand their attraction to each other and everything seems to come between them, but can they fight together to discover the truth and find a way to be together?

I really enjoyed this book, I think it's very different to other paranormal romance books and I loved that. The book is mainly about The Undead who I see as Zombies but much better.
I really love Renee's character, she is so strong and no matter what happens to her she doesn't let it get her down and she just carries out. I felt so much for her right from the beginning of the book when she discovered her parents dead and has to leave all of her friends to start a new life at Gottfried. I really admire how she just carries on with life, lots of bad things happen to her but not once does she decide to sit down and be depressed and let other people take care of everything, she does it herself and I love that.
I really loved Dante, I mean what's not to love. He's the handsome, mysterious bad boy of the book and who doesn't love a bad boy. I really loved the mystery of him and you went on the journey with Renee as she was figuring him out. He's a great character and one that every girl will fall head over heels for.

The main thing I love about this book is the Zombie-ish storyline. I love how it's all explained and it's explained through myths throughout history. This is a very unique storyline and I loved it. You definitely won't be reading it and thinking yeah, this is familiar as sometimes you do with YA paranormal books, it's a completely new and fresh storyline and I can't wait to read the second book in the series and see what happens.

An absolutely amazing start to a new series that I will definitely be seeing through till the end.

Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment