Friday, August 19

Review: Deadline (Newsflesh #2)

Deadline (Newsflesh #2)
Mira Grant

Published By: Orbit
Publication Date: June 2, 2011
Date Read: August 18, 2011
Genre: Adult - Dystopia
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 524
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10246718-deadline

From Goodreads:
Shaun Mason is a man without a mission. Not even running the news organization he built with his sister has the same urgency as it used to. Playing with dead things just doesn't seem as fun when you've lost as much as he has.

But when a CDC researcher fakes her own death and appears on his doorstep with a ravenous pack of zombies in tow, Shaun has a newfound interest in life. Because she brings news-he may have put down the monster who attacked them, but the conspiracy is far from dead.

Now, Shaun hits the road to find what truth can be found at the end of a shotgun.

I absolutely loved the first book in the Newsflesh series, Feed and I was intending to read Deadline straight after but it was so emotional that I couldn't start the second one straight after as I knew how emotional and sad it was going to be. I wasn't wrong.
It took me a while to get into Feed as it was very political and very much an 'information' book, Deadline on the other hand was a 'feeling' book.

Shaun is grieving the death of his adopted sister, Georgia. While dealing with the fact that the one person who has always been there for him is gone. But is she? Georgia still talks to Shaun in his head. Yes this always points to being crazy, talking to someone who's not really there but Shaun doesn't care. Georgia is the only person he has ever loved and if talking to her means that he's crazy then he'd rather be crazy. Then Shaun and his team stumble across another conspiracy even bigger than the one they already faced. Is this one going to end all of their lives, will the quit or does the truth need to come out no matter what?

I absolutely love this series, I think Mira Grant is a genius to come up with this series. If not one of it is THE best series I've read. I love everything about it. I'm actually really surprised that I love this series as much as I do. I've always loved reading romance books and most of the books that I read always have romance in and I love that. I never thought I would enjoy a book with no romance in. But this has no romance and I loved it more than any romance book that I have read.
A lot of books I've read have needed romance to keep the story going but this is not one of those books. You become so involved in the story you don't need romance to keep you interested you are so involed with the conspiracy's and what is going on you don't really notice. All the way through both Feed and Deadline I couldn't stop reading and I was shocked all the way through it. The way these characters deal with all these conspiracy's that they know could end their life if they come across the truth, but don't care because the truth needs to be told. I admire these characters so much.

I was purely heartbroken most of the way through this book. At the end of Feed I cried hysterically, which was why I really needed a break before reading Deadline. I cried so much at multiple points in this book. The things Shaun started to find out about the read reason George was assassinated and how he deals with the fact that she may not be talking to him forever.

The ending of the book was just heartbreaking and shocking. I've come to the conclusion that the author was trying to give all her readers a heart attack in the last 30 pages or so, I was shocked and I hated the things that were happening. I don't think my heart could have took much more, I was shocked, horrified and I wanted to stop reading and pretend it wasn't happening but at the same time I couldn't possibly stop. The last 3 pages shocked me completely I was speechless and left thinking what the hell just happened? Not a lot of book shock and surprise me but this series does constantly. I was not expecting that ending in any way. I didn't think that would be possible and I was left with my jaw on the floor completely gobsmacked and speechless. I finished this last night but couldn't write this review until this morning as I had absolutely no words except  WHAT???

This is just absolutely incredible and possibly my favourite book of the year along with Feed. The writing is excellent and the story is so powerful and raw and emotional you can't stop reading. I love this series and it's one I can read again and again and never get bored of it. The final instalment in the series Blackout is due out May 2012 and the wait is going to kill me. I will definitely be re-reading these 2 books before the third on is out.



2 comments:

  1. Sounds really good Kay, I need to add it to my wish list now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's so good Lesley. The wait for book 3 is gonna kill me lol

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment