Sunday, September 25

Review: Fateful

Fateful
Claudia Gray

Published By: Harper Teen
Publication Date: September 13, 2011
Date Read: September 25, 2011
Genre: YA - Paranormal Romance
Source: Bought
Format: Hardback
Pages: 328
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10429017-fateful

From Goodreads:
In Fateful, eighteen-year-old maid Tess Davies is determined to escape the wealthy, overbearing family she works for. Once the ship they’re sailing on reaches the United States, she’ll strike out on her own. Then she meets Alec, a handsome first-class passenger who captivates her instantly. But Alec has secrets....

Soon Tess will learn just how dark Alec’s past truly is. The danger they face is no ordinary enemy: werewolves are real and they’re stalking him—and now Tess, too. Her growing love for Alec will put Tess in mortal peril, and fate will do the same before their journey on the Titanic is over.

Featuring the opulent backdrop of the Titanic, Fateful’s publication is poised to coincide with the 100-year anniversary of the ship’s doomed maiden voyage. It is sure to be a hit among Titanic buffs and fans of paranormal romance alike.

I honestly had no idea how I was going to feel about this book. I instantly thought it would be something that I would enjoy. I am a huge fan of the story of Titanic and I love paranormal books so a story that mixed the Titanic and werewolves sounds like the perfect book for me. Yet I was still very reluctant to start this book. I think this is mainly because I have read the first 2 books in Claudia's Evernight series and I wasn't a big fan of them so I was unsure how I would feel about another of her books. Also I have been in a reading rut and every book I started I couldn't really get into it. However, I was pleasantly surprised. I absolutely loved this book. I am so glad I decided to pick it up and I could definitely read this book again and again.

Tess is a servent girl for a wealthy family moving to America via the Titanic. She can't wait to get to America and start a new life. She doesn't expect to start falling for one of the wealthiest passengers on board and she certainly doesn't count on getting sucked into his dark world. Alec is a werewolf. He hates what he is and he can't wait to get to America and start a new isolated life alone where he can deal with his problem without being a burden to his family. When he meets Tess he is amazed how the servant girl can make his feel, hopeful about the future. But can both survive the journey that all readers know is doomed?

I loved this book. I loved it right from the first few pages. I loved seeing the Titanic through a servant's eyes and I think this is a very fresh twist on the story. Tess is such a great character. She is strong and hopeful and when faced with danger she is not a whiney character who would sit and cry she is strong and she used her brain to try and sort through the problem. She wants to save everyone, especially Alec and the family she serves even though most of them threat her like crap.
I loved Alec. He is the character that every girl will fall for. He is the good guy who just wants a normal life but he has this dark force inside of him that he is desperately trying to overcome and keep his humanity.

Throughout the book I got so distracted by the werewolf part of the story and the fights between the evil werewolf and Alec and Tess that I would almost forget that they are aboard the titanic. I got about 80% through and then it dawned on me that nothing in the memorable Titanic story had happened and started to think surely they should have hit the ice berg by now. When they did I wasn't surprised, we were all expecting it and it was impossible for it not to happen. However that did not stop me crying my eyes out.
This book had me crying so hard, I was praying for a happy ending for Alec and Tess and I really couldn't see it happening which made me cry even more.
This is definitely a heart-wrenching story, I was laughing and happy with the relationships between the characters one minute and just heartbroken and sobbing the next.

This is one of the best books I have read in a while and it has definitely got me out of my reading rut. I will definitely re-read this book again and again and I can't wait to see what Claudia Grey will come up with next.
If you were not a fan of her Evernight series don't write all of her other books off as this surpassed that so much and I am so glad I read it.




1 comments:

  1. Wow! What a review! Okay, I shall deffo bump this one up my list then for when I have new pennies for purchases.

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment