Saturday, October 15

Review: Shut Out

Shut Out
Kody Keplinger

Published By: Poppy
Publication Date: September 5, 2011
Date Read: September 14, 2011
Genre: YA - Contemporary Romance
Source: Bought
Format: Hardback
Pages: 273
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10757771-shut-out

From Goodreads:
Most high school sports teams have rivalries with other schools. At Hamilton High, it's a civil war: the football team versus the soccer team. And for her part, Lissa is sick of it. Her quarterback boyfriend, Randy, is always ditching her to go pick a fight with the soccer team or to prank their locker room. And on three separate occasions Randy's car has been egged while he and Lissa were inside, making out. She is done competing with a bunch of sweaty boys for her own boyfriend's attention.

Lissa decides to end the rivalry once and for all: she and the other players' girlfriends go on a hookup strike. The boys won't get any action from them until the football and soccer teams make peace. What they don't count on is a new sort of rivalry: an impossible girls-against-boys showdown that hinges on who will cave to their libidos first. And Lissa never sees her own sexual tension with the leader of the boys, Cash Sterling, coming.

Inspired by Aristophanes' play Lysistrata, critically acclaimed author of The Duff (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) Kody Keplinger adds her own trademark humor in this fresh take on modern teenage romance, rivalry and sexuality.

From first hearing about this book, I really wanted to read it. It sounded amazing and just the kind of thing that I would love. I have never read any other books by this author before so I didn't really know what to expect in terms of both the story developing and the narrative techniques. I absolutely loved it.
I love Kody's writing, it's so edgy and you don't get that a lot in young-adult contemporary romance novels so I thought it was a really fresh way of writing such a great genre of books.
I loved her characters I thought they were so awesome.

Lissa is sick of coming second-best to the stupid rivalry between the football and soccer teams and sick of being ditched by her boyfriend for him to go and play some stupid pranks on the other team. So she comes up with a sex-strike. All the girlfriends of the players agree no sex or making out until the stupid rivalry is over. What they didn't count on is a rivalry starting between the boys and the girls and Lissa becoming more detached from Randy and trying to fight her growing attraction to the leader of the boys, the gorgeous, unresistable but also unattainable Cash.

I really love Lissa, I love how strong she is. So much had happened to her, with her Mum dying and having to look after her Dad and brother but she stayed strong for them. She is definitely the feminist in the book. She's the leader of the girls and she stays strong for them. She comes up with the idea of the sex strike and even though the girls don't think they will be able to do it, she stays strong and encourages them and supports them. She is one of my favourite female leads ever, she's so awesome and she's just the kind of character that even though she is fictional she can be seen as a role model for the young girls who are bound to read this book.
Another character I loved was Cash, I wasn't sure about him at the beginning of the book but the more I read the more I started to love him. He was definitely the guy I was hoping for Lissa to end up with instead of her Randy, her current boyfriend who I just hated. He is such a Tool and a Douche or whatever you want to call him but I hated him. I tried to keep an open mind and like him but the more I read about him the more i disliked him, the complete opposite of Cash.

Overall, I adored this book it was such a great book and I will definitely be reading more of Kody's books. I was so surprised to find out that she is only 20 years old as from the quality of her storytelling and writing skills I would have thought she was much older and had had years of experience of writing.
Definitely a winning novel and one I could re-read again and again and still find it fresh, funny and romantic.
Kody is now definitely one of my favourite chic-lit/contemporary romance authors.



1 comments:

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment