Sunday, November 20

Review: Hushed

Hushed
Kelley York

Published By: Entangled Teen
Publication Date: December 6, 2011
Date Read: November 12, 2011
Genre: YA - Contemporary
Source: ARC from Entangled Publishing
Format: E-Book
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11842962-hushed

From Goodreads:
He’s saved her. He’s loved her. He’s killed for her.

Eighteen-year-old Archer couldn’t protect his best friend, Vivian, from what happened when they were kids, so he’s never stopped trying to protect her from everything else. It doesn’t matter that Vivian only uses him when hopping from one toxic relationship to another—Archer is always there, waiting to be noticed.

Then along comes Evan, the only person who’s ever cared about Archer without a single string attached. The harder he falls for Evan, the more Archer sees Vivian for the manipulative hot-mess she really is.

But Viv has her hooks in deep, and when she finds out about the murders Archer’s committed and his relationship with Evan, she threatens to turn him in if she doesn’t get what she wants… And what she wants is Evan’s death, and for Archer to forfeit his last chance at redemption.
This is one of the best books I have read this month, possibly this year. This is the first thriller-type book I have ever read and I always assumed it just wasn't my thing. I am definitely more of a romance kind of girl but when I was asked to review it and I read the blurb I was really intrigued. It was phenomenal. I am so glad I read this and I am now much more open to these kinds of books. I loved it.

Archer has been in love with Vivian since they were kids. He will do anything for her happiness and anything to protect her. Even murder people. But then he meets Evan and everything starts to change for him. He learns what unconditional love really is like and what he feels may just be a little wrong. But can he back out now when he has already come so far?

I genuinely loved this book. When reading the blurb I immediately thought okay this guy is killing people, he has to be the bad guy right? Boy was I wrong. Archer is so not the bad guy and I loved him. My heart really went out to him while reading this book. Archer has never known unconditional love, from his strained hateful relationship with his mother to Vivian's manipulative behaviours towards him he has never really received love like everybody else does and that is obviously going to affect him and the way he behaves (Keep in mind I may see this completely different because of my psychological background). He is a very flawed character and everything he does, he does because he thinks he is doing the right thing and keeping those he loves from harm.
Hushed is 100% a redemption story and I love how Evan comes into it and ends up kind of being Archer's saviour. Evan sees all these flaws in Archer and sees what he does to protect Vivian but he never once judges him and is always the one who loves him no matter what and is there to help him.

I finished this book over a week ago and I still don't really know what to say. The writing is captivating and draws you in right from the start. I sat down just to read one chapter to kind of get a feel for the book and the next thing I knew I was half-way through. I genuinely couldn't put it down. I loved every moment of it and I felt everything through Archer. I understood him and I just wanted to give him a hug and tell him everything would be okay.
I would love for Kelley York to write a follow-up to find out what happens next with Archer and Evan but I loved the ending and thought it was perfect to end their story.

Kelley York is definitely an author to watch out for. Her writing has captivated me and when she releases another book I will 100% pick it up and buy it without even looking to see what it's about.
A phenomenal debut book and everyone should pick it up and read it. Even if it doesn't seem your kind of book like I originally thought just pick it up and read it anyway. You won't be disappointed.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment