Sunday, December 18

Review: Eden (Eden #1)

Eden (Eden #1)
Janelle Stalder

Publication Date: September 20, 2011
Date Read: December 17, 2011
Genre: YA - Fantasy
Source: Review Copy from Janelle
Format: Paperback
Pages: 236
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12376605-eden

From Goodreads:
Stuck in the cruel world of hormones and high school bullies, Aiden is convinced life has something more to offer. A stranger soon brings him to a world that co-exists alongside our own called Eden. Here he will learn to trust himself and those around him, as all of Eden finds itself on the brink of war. With the handsome rider Wolf, his sidekick Logan, and the beautiful archer Elisa at his side, Aiden will battle to save Eden and learn just what he is capable of.

Being the only girl in the King’s Army, and the Captain’s daughter, Elisa constantly feels the need to prove herself. It doesn’t help that she is betrothed to Wolf, who challenges her at every turn, and who she refuses to marry. With the new stranger, Aiden, now involved, Elisa finds her life even more confusing than ever.

Rose is a prisoner of the war, taken by the army from the North. Her captor, the exiled Prince Callum, intrigues her and terrifies her all at the same time. Now she must choose to either betray her heart, or the memory of her family.

Eden is packed full of romance, adventure, humour, and action.
Wow. Eden was definitely nothing like I expected it to be. I found it a little difficult to get into at the start and wasn't quite sure what I thought of it but as I always do I kept on going. I am so glad I did as I found myself being blown away by the story. The more I read the more I fell in love with this book.

Aiden is just a normal boy with normal troubles like trying to survive high school. But then the extraordinary happens. He is transported to the magical world of Eden where there is a war brewing. Aiden must learn to fight and help Eden in order to get back home. What he doesn't count on is getting attached to the world and the people of Eden.

I really enjoyed reading this book. It is a great story and I commend Janelle on her amazing writing technique. The narration made me fall in love with all of the characters. I was really surprised how attached I became to the characters as the book is in third person narration which I usually don't like much as I feel like it is not as personal but with Janelle's superb writing this was not a problem and I loved it.
Her characters are amazing, I loved the relationships forming between Elise/Aiden/Wolf/Logan and Felix and I found myself wanting to read as fast as I could to see what happened and hope they won the war and defeated the 'bad side'. That was until we met Rose and Callum. I was very surprised when we met Rose and Callum. I never imagined that such important characters could be introduced so far into the book but Janelle did it superbly. When we first met them I found myself thinking oh, can we not just go back to seeing what's going on with Aiden and the others. And then when we did I was like But, what's happening with Callum and Rose. I just totally loved Callum, he is such a fab character and I know, I know technically he's on the bad side but he's just so sweet and I love him.

One thing I loved about this book is that you could see certain romances starting to form and seeing the relationships between the characters growing but it didn't happen too fast and the romance still isn't there at the end of the book. There are so many books out there where romances develop way too quickly and the reader is left thinking woah, how did that happen? so it is nice and refreshing to find a book where you can see the starts of relationships but where it is not rushed.

I really loved this book and I am really excited to read the next book and see what happens next. A great start to what is looking to be a promising series.



1 comments:

  1. Oooh, sounds good! With books that have a modern-day character falling into a fantasy-esque world, it can go either really well, or *really* bad. Sounds like Janelle hit the former. Consider this one added to my TBR pile. Thanks for the rec!


    Smiles!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment