Sunday, January 8

Review: Bumped (Bumped #1)

Bumped (Bumped #1)
Megan McCafferty

Published By: Balzer and Bray
Publication Date: April 26, 2011
Date Read: January 8, 2012
Genre: YA - Dystopia
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 323
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8517207-bumped

From Goodreads:
When a virus makes everyone over the age of eighteen infertile, would-be parents pay teen girls to conceive and give birth to their children, making teens the most prized members of society. Girls sport fake baby bumps and the school cafeteria stocks folic-acid-infused food.

Sixteen-year-old identical twins Melody and Harmony were separated at birth and have never met until the day Harmony shows up on Melody’s doorstep. Up to now, the twins have followed completely opposite paths. Melody has scored an enviable conception contract with a couple called the Jaydens. While they are searching for the perfect partner for Melody to bump with, she is fighting her attraction to her best friend, Zen, who is way too short for the job.

Harmony has spent her whole life in Goodside, a religious community, preparing to be a wife and mother. She believes her calling is to convince Melody that pregging for profit is a sin. But Harmony has secrets of her own that she is running from.

When Melody is finally matched with the world-famous, genetically flawless Jondoe, both girls’ lives are changed forever. A case of mistaken identity takes them on a journey neither could have ever imagined, one that makes Melody and Harmony realize they have so much more than just DNA in common.

I really have no idea what to write in this review. Bumped is positively the strangest, weirdest book I have ever read in my life. It's weird and confusing and for most of it I didn't really have a clue what was going on.

Melody and Harmony are twin sisters separated at birth. In a society where people become infertile at the age of 18 they have two very different perspectives on the situation. Harmony, brought up in a religious community, frowns upon the act of 'bumping' and is determined to help her sister before she sins. Melody has a contract to 'bump' for a infertile couple. When the sisters come face to face sparks fly, but can they overcome their differences and find that they have more in common than they first thought?

This is such a difficult review to write as I have very mixed feelings about this book. When I first heard of this dystopian book I could not wait to read it. It sounded like such an interesting storyline and I was looking forward to diving into this book. However, I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed by this book.
It is a very strange book and I am not a massive fan of the writing style. I wasn't gripped right away and the writing style didn't make me want to keep reading. There is a lot of futuristic slang that I didn't really understand and it wasn't explained so throughout the book I found myself having to guess what the characters were talking about. I also didn't think there was enough world-building in this book. At the beginning of the book it felt like a chore to have to pick up the book and read it as I was just confused so much. Nothing about the society was really explained. It didn't mention the virus until a few chapters in. To me I felt like it wasn't a first book in a series but a book further on in a series and you should have read some other book beforehand in order to understand the book.
Furthermore I felt like the story was very slow in progressing. Just when I felt like some good things were about to start it still took around 80+ pages to actually get there. However the storyline was very interesting and that is what kept me going through the book and I am so glad I did. Once I got to the end and looked back on the book I realised that it is a good story and I did in fact enjoy it.

Now on to the characters, again I have mixed impressions. I love Melody and Harmony. I love how different they are but deep down they are so similar and have it in them to be best friends. I really liked both of them and I was reading the book just waiting for them to start bonding and sisters. The boys is another matter. First I love Zen. He is my favourite character in the whole book and every scene he was in I was laughing. He is the reason I kept reading because I loved him so much. As much as I loved Zen I disliked Jondoe. He is such an infuriating character. First impression of him is what an ass. He is stuck-up and comes across as if he is completely in love with himself and has a very very high opinion of himself which just really irritated me. Then we see a different side to him and see a sensitive side to him and I started to warm to him. Then he switches back and I disliked him again and by the end I couldn't really decide.

The ending of the book was the most positive thing about the book in my opinion. It was a great ending and as much as I struggled through this book I will definitely be reading the next book. I am looking forward to seeing what happens between the characters and seeing which side of Jondoe is the 'real' one.
Because of my mixed views on this book it was very difficult to rate. I am so torn between 2 and 3 Roses. I want to give it 3 because by the end I did enjoy the book and I am looking forward to book 2 and seeing how the story ends for these characters, but the writing didn't particularly grip me and it was very very slow progressing through the story so I will give it 2 Stars, I hope the next one isn't as slow going as this one.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment