Friday, January 27

Review: Working Stiff (Revivalist #1)

Working Stiff (Revivalist #1)
Rachel Caine

Published By: Allison and Busby
Publication Date: October 31, 2011
Date Read: January 27, 2012
Genre: Adult - Urban Fantasy
Source: Review Copy from Allison and Busby Publishers
Format: Paperback
Pages: 473
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11396864-working-stiff

From Goodreads:
Bryn Davis knows working at Fairview Mortuary isn't the most glamorous career choice, but at least it offers stable employment--until she discovers her bosses using a drug that resurrects the clientele as part of an extortion racket. Now, Bryn faces being terminated--literally, and with extreme prejudice.

Wit the help of corporate double-agent Patrick McCallister, Bryn has a chance to take down the bigger problem--pharmaceutical company Pharmadene, which treats death as the ultimate corporate loyalty program. She'd better do it fast, before she becomes a zombie slave--a real working stiff. She'd be better off dead...


I really don't know where to start with this review. Working Stiff is definitely not what I expected it to be and most of the way through the book I couldn't decide whether this was a good thing or a bad thing.

Bryn thinks getting a job at Fairview Mortuary will be a positive thing on her life. The job is stable and it has a decent wage. What she doesn't count on is there being a big secret behind the Mortuary and she finds herself smack down in the middle of it which could be dangerous for her. Her bosses are using a drug to revive the dead, will she be able to stop them without risking her own life.

I have to say that this is in no way anything like Rachel Caine's Morganville Vampires series. If you are coming into this book with her Morganville series in mind prepare to be a little disappointed. This book is in no way bad and by the end I enjoyed it but I was quite disappointed with this book. Rachel Caine is a fantastic Paranormal author so when I heard about her 'zombie' series coming out I couldn't wait to read it. I thought there would be a supernatural twist on zombies. I couldn't have been more wrong. I was actually quite disappointed to find that in this book there is a very scientific explanation for it. Don't get me wrong I like books where the author has done the background research and finds a real-life way to explain it. I absolutely adored "Feed" by Mira Grant and that is a very scientific take on the zombie novels but it is definitely not what I was expecting from Rachel Caine.

I found this book very slow going to start with and it did take me quite a while to get through it and I found myself plodding through it just to get through it. However the more I read the more I started to really enjoy it. The storyline for this book is superb and it's a really brilliant idea. I think my negative feelings toward this book are more because of what I call "First Book Syndrome" rather than the actual book. In a lot of series I find that the first book is setting the basis for the rest of the series and I don't enjoy it as much. However when I have read further on in the series I end up really loving them.

As much as I struggled with the book to start with, I did end up enjoying it and most of that is to do with the characters. I always love Rachel's characters and this is no exception. I loved Bryn. The things she has to face in this book I don't think anyone could deal with as well as Bryn does. She is so strong and there were things in this book that shocked and disgusted me but at the same time I could not stop reading. I really loved watching the characters relationships develop and I loved seeing a hint of romance blossoming at the end. I really loved Patrick. At times he's ruthless and I wanted to hate him but I always saw that softer side to him. Him doing what had to be done but not really liking it. I loved that Bryn brought out the real him and saw a side to him that nobody else saw. I just really love all of Rachel's characters and having a cute dog called Mr. French in there helped too. What can I say? I'm a sucker for dogs with cute puppy eyes.

I will definitely be reading more of this series when it is out and I think it will just get better and better. The beginning of the book was slow but the events and action towards the end of the book definitely made up for it.
I think it's a great storyline and a promising start to a original and interesting series. I can't wait to see what happens and how Bryn and Patrick's relationship evolves from here.

*Thank You to Allison & Busby Publishers for sending me Working Stiff for review.



1 comments:

  1. Thanks for the honest review. I actually enjoy books that have scientific reasons for the paranormal elements--when told well and in a way that makes sense, of course. And this one sounds quirky with a strong protag, so I might just check this one out.


    Smiles!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment