Friday, February 24

Article 5

Article 5 (Article 5 #1)
Kristen Simmons

Publication Date : Januray 31, 2012
Finish Date: February 24, 2012
Format: e-book

From Goodreads: New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned.The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes.There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back.Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren’t always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it’s hard for her to forget that people weren’t always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It’s hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different.Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow. That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings…the only boy Ember has ever loved.


I finished this book, but I struggled through it. When I first heard of this book and saw the cover I immediately decided I wanted to read it. It sounded very good, but well I was disapointed when I actually read it. It is not a bad book, I will even say it is a good book, it just isn't a book for me.

The first reason why I don't like this book is because it has a very bleak outlook, there is no hope and I want to see hope in a book. Further we get to read terrible gruwesome details, which I don't like to read. Just my opinion. It was harsh, very harsh and I don't like that in a book. Give me some violence and action, oké, but not too much details about how a dead person looked like. Another thing I didn't liked is all the running. The characters are running the entire time. I would like to see them have some peace sometimes, I just got tired only from reading it.

I think the characters deserve some more explanation. The lead characters are very strong, but somehow I just didn't like them. I couldn't connect with them. And the lead character Ember, I only felt like I knew a bit about her halfway through. The characters are strong and there is even see some character development, but I think they still lack depth.

Another big point why I didn't like this book was the world building. When I read a dystophia I love the world building, reading how different the society is and why. Here we get some hints, but at the end of the book I still have no idea what happenend to the US, I know there is a different and cruel government after some kind of war, but why, what is this war, what exactly happened? No anshwers, I felt like the author put too less attention to the world building and instead focussed and showing how two people survive in a very cruel and bleak world.

To conclude this is not a bad book, but it just isn't a book for me. I didn't like all the running and the bleak outlook. I couldn't connect with the characters and felt the world building lacked. I know many people actually love this book, so I would say try it for yourself.

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment