Tuesday, February 7

Open Minds (Mindjack Trilogy #1)

Open Minds (Mindjack Trilogy #1)
Susan Kaye Quinn

Publication Date: November 1, 2011
Finish Date: 6 February
Format: e-book


From Goodreads:
When everyone reads minds, a secret is a dangerous thing to keep. Sixteen-year-old Kira Moore is a zero, someone who can’t read thoughts or be read by others. Zeros are outcasts who can’t be trusted, leaving her no chance with Raf, a regular mindreader and the best friend she secretly loves. When she accidentally controls Raf’s mind and nearly kills him, Kira tries to hide her frightening new ability from her family and an increasingly suspicious Raf. But lies tangle around her, and she’s dragged deep into a hidden world of mindjackers, where having to mind control everyone she loves is just the beginning of the deadly choices before her.


This book is about a girl who can't read minds in a society where everyone can read minds. I really liked the originality of this idea and immediately wanted to read this book when I first came across it. I really liked the story and the world in this book. The beginning of the book is a bit confusing, I have this problem more often with dystophia books. The world is introduced and this book uses some unique words to describe certain people. There where also some strange words like "mesh" which means cool and "demens" which means crazy. It really took me some time to figure out what everything means, but after I got used to this I was really sucked into the story.


I really liked the story, it is original and I really liked the world. The author gives enough explanation and the world is really thought through. There are even some semi plausible explanations for why everyone can read mins and why certain people don't. The originality of the story really is one of the strengths of this book. The story is very interesting and is fast paced and I keep wanting to read more to figure out what was happening. There are a few parts in the end of the book that feel a bit rushed.

There is one thing that really bothered me about this book and that are the characters. I just couldn't connect with the characters. I had no idea why they acted how they did and why certain people liked each other. The characters really lacked some depth. This does get less the further you get into the book, but only when I was halfway through the book I really got a sense of who the lead character was, she made some chooses that really illustrates her personality. I only really became to like her later on in the book. I understand that the beginning of the book is mostly dedicated to explaining the world and that is enough information already, but I really would've liked some more character information. The lead character Kira has a best friend, who she secretly loves, but I just couldn't understand why they where friends and what attracted Kira to him. The lack of character depth is one of the few minpoints of this book and the reason why it got those 4 roses instead of 5. I did like Kira at the end of the book, a few things she does make me really like her and give her some personality.

To conclude: a very nice book, with an interesting and original story. I really liked the world, but I was disapointed by the lack of character depth. I will certainly read book two too. This book is an enjoyable read and my only real complaint is that I couldn't connect with the characters.

Photobucket
Photobucket

1 comments:

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment