Monday, March 5

Children of the Gods

Children of Gods (A Choosen Novel)
Monica Millard

Published Date: December 24, 2011
Finish Date: March 4, 2012
Format: e-book
Source: I won a copy on a blog

From Goodreads: For as long as seventeen-year-old Reka Cushing can remember, she has watched her friends and her neighbors be stolen, their bodies used as hosts for the Halorans; an alien race that has come to earth posing as gods. For just as long, Reka has lived in fear of drawing the eye of a Haloran, keeping her head down, hoping not to be caught in their sights. The only time she has ever been bold, tried to get what she wanted, a god, one more powerful, more dangerous than all others is watching.

Again I have mixed feelings about a book. Let me start positve: I absolutely loved the idea behind this book. A special race has control of a city an every year a human is choosen to be the host for one of those special people who are referred as Gods. Sounds great right? Well sadly the original plot is the only good thing in this book.

My biggest problem with this story is that it lacked explanation. It lacked world building, inner dialogue, character depth, explanation about how everything worked. To give some examples I didn't knew they lived in a space ship until almost the end of the book, when I hear ship I think of a huge boat on the water. I know stupid. I also didn't realize most of the plans and ideas of the lead characters until late in the book. This book felt like I was wandering about in the dark trying to find the light and understand where I was. And I feel sorry to say this but I just couldn't enjoy the book. There was so much missing.

The world that is introduced in this book sounds great, but except for the initial explanation we get from the lead character there is no more world building. Why is this race of gods in this planet? Where did they come from? What does the ship looks like (except from having purple walls)? What does the lead characters room looks like? what do the characters look like? What does the lead character think? why did she made some of the descisions she made? What about the other characters, why did she like some of them? How does she feel about her new life? I can go on with these kind of questions, but this is mainly to give an idea what was missing.

The characters are another point which I found lacking. It is first person view, but even at the end of the book the main character is still a huge mystery to me. We don't get to read much inner dialogue and I found it very difficult to understand why she did certain things and what she thought about everything that happened. I just couldn't connect with her or any other characters for that matter.

I also have to say something about the story line. Where the main plot was interesting most of the story felt like just filling up the book. It is a short book, only 117 pages but most of the book is spend seeing the main characters daily life. And well nothing really happens. I had no idea where the story was going, it seemed to go nowhere and then suddenly at the ending something drastic happens, without any explanation and then end of the book. This book left me confused and I believe it could have been so much better. The ideas are there, but it just isn't worked out enough.

To conclude I didn't like this book. I foudn it lacked world building and character building. We almost got no idea of who the characters are and the lead character just stays one big mystery to me. I did like the idea behind the story and I think it has a lot of potential, but the story falls short.

Photobucket
Photobucket

1 comments:

  1. Honest is the best policy. We trust you to tell the truth and then we can decide if the book interests us or not.

    I'm sure it wasn't easy. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment