Friday, March 23

Happy Hunger Games!


As most people know The Hunger Games is my favourite book series of all time. I think it's absolutely amazing. I have been counting down the days for the movie since last year and now the day is already upon us. So Happy Hunger Games!

I saw the movie this morning and I just really wanted to do a blog post about it because I am so happy I cannot stop talking about it. If you haven't seen the movie you may want to stop reading now because there will be spoilers.

My first impression when coming out of the movie was, well, I was speechless. I couldn't talk. The range of my vocabulary just reduced itself to three words.

Oh. My. God!

The Hunger Games is without a doubt the best movie adaptation of a book I have ever seen. I was fully prepared to come out of the movie theatre disappointed and saying yes, it was good but the book was better. I was not in any way expecting to come out going Oh My God it was perfect. But I did.
It was. 100% perfect. Obviously there are differences from the book to the movie but they can't include everything in the movie and the things missing are so minimal that they hardly seem important in contrast to the rest of the movie. 
Some differences include: Katniss giving Prim the mockingjay pin and then Prim giving it back to Katniss for the games. Avox storyline wasn't really there and there were some minor things with timing, like Thresh getting killed after Katniss and Peeta have left the cave. All minor, insignificant things compared to the storyline.

The Hunger Games trilogy is my favourite series in the entire world and it started my love for dystopian books, now my favourite genre of book.
The cast was perfect, Jennifer Lawrence just IS Katniss. Nobody could have been better for the role she was just perfect, so was Josh as Peeta, Liam as Gale, pretty much everyone. The entire cast was completely perfect. 
The sets were perfect, they were amazing, exactly how I pictured it. 

Favourite Moments:
  • The Reaping: Made me cry so much, I never cried at this scene in the book but the difference between reading it and seeing it is huge! Prim is just so cute and adorable and you really see the relationship between Katniss and Prim and it really made me cry so much.
  • Girl on Fire Costume: It was amazing. I was unsure how they would do this justice but it wowed me. Amazing.
  • Rue: I was so worried about the Rue scene. It's the most heart-felt scene in the whole book and it's a really important scene to me. It breaks my heart everytime I read it but it's just so amazing and really shows Katniss' character. I was very impressed with the way they handled it. It was amazing. It made me sob and I couldn't stop crying but to me that means they have done it right.
  • Cave Scene: It was amazing. I love Peeta and I just adored the cave scenes and I think the way they brought it to life was amazing and I felt like you could see Katniss' growing feelings for Peeta particularly in this scene.
  • Flashbacks: Flashbacks to the boy with the bread scene. I loved seeing that brought to life and it just left me going "Awwwww" I love Peeta. It was great seeing that past event that links them both together.
  • Additional Scenes: There are additional scenes in the movie that are not in the book and I loved each and every one of them. I loved seeing how the games affected the people back home in District 12. These new scenes were perfect for linking this movie to the events happening in Catching Fire and Mockingjay, I think they work so perfectly because Suzanne Collins co-wrote the screen play. I loved seeing Gale in the movie more than he is in the book and although I am so Team Peeta I felt so bad for Gale in those scenes and just wanted to give him a hug. Overall, I love these new scenes as I feel like it gives you a better overall view of the society and what's happening. Whereas in the book it is entirely from Katniss' point of view and that's all you see, the story through her eyes. I think these scenes in the movie give you a bigger and better perspective of the story.

The Hunger Games was amazing. The best book-to-movie adaptation I have ever ever seen and I loved every moment of it. I know there will be some people who will not like it, who will criticise it because of the book but as a massive fan of the books I can honestly say to me it was perfect, everything about it was amazing and I loved every second of it. I cannot wait to see what they do with Catching Fire. I never dreamed that The Hunger Games movie would be as amazing and as close to the book as it is and I am overjoyed about that.
I do apologise for this massive post but I really just needed somewhere to rant about my thoughts and feelings about it. I loved it and I will be seeing it again and again and again.

Happy Hunger Games!
And may the odds be ever in your favor!

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. On 'The best book to move adaptation ever', I have to agree. I do believe they did the book justice. And I pretty much agree with everything you've said. Though, I must admit that the cave scenes are one of the spots they could have done with not condensing, because I felt a much stronger shift in Katniss's character in the book, and felt more concerned for Peeta's condition in the book, whereas that entire time spent with them alone seemed a little downplayed so we didn't quite get the full effect we could have. I will say, for some reason, I didn't picture the mutt-thingies as they were portrayed, but I guess that's the beauty of an individual mind. However, those in the films scared the bejeebus outta me and I even lifted my feet and cringed backward when they all started chasing Peeta and Katniss to the Cornicopia. Nice review, Kay. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited,I'll be watching this tomorrow, thanks for reminding me that it's not the best idea to wear mascara for this one...am going to try not to cry but the book made me sob, so we'll see how that goes!
    Love the review

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited,I'll be watching this tomorrow, thanks for reminding me that it's not the best idea to wear mascara for this one...am going to try not to cry but the book made me sob, so we'll see how that goes!
    Love the review

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have pretty much the same thoughts on it as you!

    Loved it, cannot wait till the dvd and hopefully we can see those cut 7 seconds!

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment