Friday, March 30

Yesterday

Yesterday
C.K. Kelly Martin

Expected publication Date: September 25, 2012
Finish Date: March 30, 2012
Format: e-book
Source: from NetGalley



From Goodreads: THEN: The formation of the UNA, the high threat of eco-terrorism, the mammoth rates of unemployment and subsequent escape into a world of virtual reality are things any student can read about in their 21st century textbooks and part of the normal background noise to Freya Kallas's life. Until that world starts to crumble. NOW: It's 1985. Freya Kallas has just moved across the world and into a new life. On the outside, she fits in at her new high school, but Freya feels nothing but removed. Her mother blames it on the grief over her father's death, but how does that explain the headaches and why do her memories feel so foggy? When Freya lays eyes on Garren Lowe, she can't get him out of her head. She's sure that she knows him, despite his insistence that they've never met. As Freya follows her instincts and pushes towards hidden truths, the two of them unveil a strange and dangerous world where their days may be numbered. Unsure who to trust, Freya and Garren go on the run from powerful forces determined to tear them apart and keep them from discovering the truth about their shared pasts (and futures), her visions, and the time and place they really came from.

I really enjoyed this book. The story is so good! It was an emotional read for me, although that may have to do with my current state of mind. I really had to put down the book a few times because the subject was a bit heavy and I just needed to read something lighter. But I kept picking it up again and again, it was such an original and intriguing story.

The story starts with the lead person just moving to Canada, she has some problems here, because she feels like nothing is real and then strange things start to happen. The begin of the book is quite slow, but still enjoyable. I realized that the pace was slow, but it didn't bother me too much.

The story is very intriguing, I just wanted to know what was going on and that kept me reading. Quite late in the book it finally becomes clear what's going on. I didn't totally like the explanation, but I think that is very personal because I think the explanation just doens't make sense on some points. That being said it was really thought through and the author really tried to let it make sense. I do have to say that before the explanation bit came, I actually had no idea what's going on. I really had no idea and was really surprised when the explanation finally came.

This story also gives us a view of a very bleak, but still realistic future. I liked the view and the message this book convines wiht this. The focus isn't entirely on this, but this book makes it clear what kind of wrong direction our world can go.

I just really liked the story, the story sucked me in and although I did put the book down a few times I just kept thinking about it and wanted to know how it ended. I also liked the characters, Freya and Garren get landed in a very difficult situation, but they act brave and try to make the best of it. I think both are very strong characters and I like how the author tried her best to make them act believeable.

I also want to say something about the ending. It was a nice ending in many ways, open, but still enough closure to give a sense what will happen with the characters. I did think that there where a bit too much questions left unanshwered, but that's mainly because I like endings that explain everything and leave me with no questions left.

To conclude: a very good and enjoyable story. The pace is a bit slow at times and some topics felt a bit too heavy because of my current state of mind. I really liked this book and would certainly recommend it to others. It is a very original story and I liked how the author dealt with the topic. I am really glad I got the change to read this great book.



Photobucket





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment