Thursday, April 12

Beautiful Disaster

Beautiful Disaster
Jamie McGuire

Publication Date: May 1, 2011
Finish Date: February 1, 2012
Format: e-book

Photobucket

From goodreads: The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate percentage of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance between her and the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend America, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand. Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the charming college co-ed. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his charms, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’ apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.


Let me start with saying that I really liked this book and couldn't put it down. When I first came across this book on goodreads I was sure this wasn't a book for me. I didn't like the cover (I still don't, it just doesn't fit the book I think) and there was nothing supernatural about it. Some very good reviews about this book made me change my mind. The blurb did sound interesting and I decided a book without something supernatural would also be nice for a change, so I decided to read it. And I am really glad I did. I started this book on an evening before going to bed and the 15 minutes reading I had planned quickly changed into an hour before I convinced myself I had to go sleep now. The whole book has this effect. There where some events that I didn't like or frustrated me, but I just wanted to keep reading. The book isn't perfect, but it deserves those 5 stars!

So there is nothing supernatural about this book, it is mainly about the social life of Abby, altough I have to say her social life is anything but normal. I remember Terri describing this book as an "emotional rollercoaster" and I agree that this is a very good way to describe this book. There are happy moments and sad moments and moments that just frustrated me. I had to say this book did frustrate me a lot, and there where many moments that I just wanted to shake some sense into the two lead characters. This story mainly resolves about Abby and Travis. Travis seems to be anything Abby doens't want, but still they get involved. This book is about the low and high points of their relationship. It is a great story about how two people who seem very different fall in love.

I really liked the interactions between the characters. I think the characters somethimes reacted a bit too extreme, but most of the times it stayed believeable. It is a very emotional book, with many highs and lows. Most of the characters have a tendency to react very emotional to events. But that's also what I liked about this book. You really feel with the characters and experience their emotions.

To conclude: I really liked this book. Altough it sometimes frustrated me, I just couldn't put it down. And I think that the fact I just wanted to keep reading is one of the strongest points of this book. It is really addictive and I am sad that there are no more stories about Abby and Travis, altough the ending is really good. I am going to read the other series of this author for sure! I would recommend this book to everyone who likes a good romance, trust me you won't be dissapointed.




Photobucket



Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Excellent review, and I think the cover could have been awesome with different lighting. I love that it captured you from the get go and engaged you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good, I just purchased this! Great timing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Normally I don't read this genre and that's partly why I was so surprised by how good it was. It's definitely a must read.
    @ Claire, I really hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment