Saturday, April 14

Fifty shades of grey (Fifty shades #1) & Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades #2)

Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades #1)
E.L. James

Publication Date: May 26, 2011
Finish Date: February 19, 2012Format: e-book

Photobucket

From Goodreads: When literature student Anastasia Steele is drafted to interview the successful young entrepreneur Christian Grey for her campus magazine, she finds him attractive, enigmatic and intimidating. Convinced their meeting went badly, she tries to put Grey out of her mind - until he happens to turn up at the out-of-town hardware store where she works part-time.

The unworldly, innocent Ana is shocked to realize she wants this man, and when he warns her to keep her distance it only makes her more desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her - but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey's singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success – his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving adoptive family – Grey is a man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a passionate, physical and daring affair, Ana learns more about her own dark desires, as well as the Christian Grey hidden away from public scrutiny.

Can their relationship transcend physical passion? Will Ana find it in herself to submit to the self-indulgent Master? And if she does, will she still love what she finds?

Erotic, amusing, and deeply moving, the Fifty Shades Trilogy is a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever.

4 stars, because I didn't like the beginning and ending, everyhting is between was great. One of my goodreads friends kept telling me how good this book was, I wasn't sure whether I would like it, it is obvious from the blurb that the focus of this book was on sex. But she convinced me that the story was good too and eventually I decided to read it. Well I have to admit I really liked this book.

At the beginning I already liked the lead character Ana, she is an innocent girl of 21 who just graduated and has nice inner dialogues with herself. She is witty and has a nice sense of humor. Then she meets Christina Grey and she changed in a weak women who was completely in love with how he looked. I hate insta love and was a bit reluctant to go on. Also there is the fact that the two of them doens't seem like a great match. Christian is a milionaire and CEO of his own company, he has a dark side and strange sexual habits. Then we have Ana, who is an innocent girl who hasn't seen much of the world. They are so different and I was sure MR Grey wasn't a good partner for Ana. Well later on in the book I changed my opinion. They really grow to each other and then suddenly they seem good together.

I really enjoyed the story, the beginning was a bit slow, but when Christian and Ana are together the story really starts. They are trying to find a way to have a relationship they both like. And the sex scenes are really good. But this book is about more than sex, while in the beginning it seems that sex is the only focus of this book it quickly becomes clear there is more to their relationship than sex. Christian has a dark past that he wants to keep hidden, while Ana wants to know what happened to him. In this book we only get a little bit insight in his past, but it certainly made the story more interesting. This past of Christian also gives his character more depth and he feels like a much more complicated person, than I thought he was in the beginning of the book. I also really liked Ana, at some points she may seem a bit weak, but I think she in fact is a really strong character who really cares about Christian.

And the ending is just strange and feels a bit rushed. Ana deals very good with everything and they try to make things work together, but then at the end something happens that I just don't understand. What Ana does is something I don't think really fits with her character. I didn't like the ending and I think it is a bit unbelieveable even.

To conclude I really liked this book. The story is great and has more depth than I anticipated. And the sex scenes are really good. I didn't like the beginning and the ending, but I am sure to read the next books in this series.


Photobucket







Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades #2)
E.L. James

Publication Date: September 15, 2011
Finish Date: February 26, 2012
Format: e-book


Photobucket


From Goodreads: Daunted by the singular sexual tastes and dark secrets of the beautiful, tormented young entrepreneur Christian Grey, Anastasia Steele has broken off their relationship to start a new career with a Seattle publishing house.

But desire for Christian still dominates her every waking thought, and when he proposes a new arrangement, Anastasia cannot resist. They rekindle their searing sensual affair, and Anastasia learns more about the harrowing past of her damaged, driven and demanding Fifty Shades.

While Christian wrestles with his inner demons, Anastasia must confront the anger and envy of the women who came before her, and make the most important decision of her life.
4 stars just like the first book. This book is in some ways better and in some ways less good than the first book. I still really liked it. I liked reading more about Ana and Christian, altough sometimes this book felt a bit repetetive and predictable.

What I liked most about this book is that we get to read more about the characters. We learn so much more about Ana and escpecially Christian in this book. It suddenly becomes clear why Christina is the way he is and we get some insights to what happenend in the past. The focus in a bit more on the two getting to know each other, although there is also still is a lot of sex. The focus is just a bit more on Ana trying to figure out why Christina is the way he is. I really liked that we got to know these two characters better and I liked learning why Christian is the way he is.

There is still a lot of sex in this book, but it is different than in book 1. Even if you didn't like book 1, book 2 may be still worth a try. But I also think the sex scenes began to get a bit repetitive. The author has a tendency to use the same sentences for some handlings and this really get's annoying sometimes. I think the author could have done a bit more effort to use different words and sentences to describe it, because now there are a lot of sex scenes that just read the same. And well if they are the same, she could just as easily skip them.

Also the book feels pretty long and I think it would've been better if it had been a bit shorter. Now it just contains some scenes (like the sex scenes mentioned above) that feels like they are just filling in the book and not adding anything new.

What I did like was the ending before the ending. It is so sweet and it was just a great ending. I think the author easily could've ended the series here. After that there are few pages that give us an idea what is to come in book 3 and let me tell you it doesn't make me eager to read book 3. I think the author had a perfect ending here and I have no idea what more there is to tell about Ana and Christina, and I am afraid she is going to ruin it by having written another book. But well I don't know that for sure yet.

To conclude: a great book. It contains more of the same as in book 1, but also has more focus on the characters. I really liked getting to know the characters better. What I didn't like was the fact that the author uses the same descriptions of some events again and again. I liked the ending, but the ending after that made me a bit reluctant to read the next book. I think the series could've ended here, because there was a great ending. It even feels like the ending and I had to remind myself that there was still one book after this.




Photobucket


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment