Monday, April 2

Guest Review: Altered

Altered
Laura Burks

Reviewed by: Nicole


From Goodreads:

All eighteen-year-old Jenna wants to do is have a slow paced and predictable summer in the small town of New Roads with her grandfather. But on Friday the thirteenth, the unpredictable occurs when she mysteriously hears a voice leading her to a buried book. Jenna is unaware that a secret curse lies within and she's just unleashed its hold. 


As writings appear in the book strangely matching her vivid dreams, Jenna's curious nature takes over pulling her deeper into the mystery and the connection to her family. What she didn't expect to find was a forbidden love and a choice to save a life. 


Will Jenna's choice remain a secret? Or did the secret choose her?





This was a very good mysterious book.
In Altered you get a Louisiana Bayou adventure. Jenna Larson is an 18 year old on summer vacation before her senior year in a small town in the mysterious humid Bayou in the deep south. Visiting her “Pops” for the entire summer is just what she had in mind and a trip she makes every summer, a nice lazy summer soaking up the suns glorious rays…



While sunning herself she thinks she hears her voice being called into the words, so she does what any sane girl her age would do… follows it into the woods silly! Ok I know you wouldn’t do that and neither would I. However Jenna is the curios sort and this is her story so we let her. She finds a dilapidated cabin and incidentally finds a cursed book (hence why I would have never had went in the woods).

 


Homey right?

I digress! Anywho… she starts having odd dreams that night and weird things happening with said cursed book… To be fair there is a rose on the cover as well but you try finding that picture, besides I like the snake, very creepy.



The next day Jenna heads into town to the local hang out with two old friends and while catching up and eating pizza she spots a boy across the restaurant. She catches his eye as well and soon he attempt to cutest opening line. Enter Jess Parkin our very mysterious 19 year old bad boy with bright blue eyes…



Yep you know I am a sucker for the dark hair, blue eyes, bad boy type! I won’t get into too much more because I don’t want to spoil anything but Jess is a mystery to Jenna and is instantly drawn to those baby blues (can’t blame a girl for that). While falling into a forbidden love Jenna has a supernatural mystery and a cursed book on her hands, not to mention some family secrets.
I struggled very much with my rating for this one because I did enjoy the story so much but there were a few issues I had with the book. Mainly the ending, don’t worry I won’t spoil it but I will just say that a couple of the events were not believable to me and the ending feels very abrupt.
With all that being said I do recommend it.
This is a great book to share and read with a teenager in your life!

Rating – 3.5 Stars

Recommended for – Teens and Adults



A big thanks to Nicole for reviewing this book for me =)

1 comments:

  1. Since I'm not a teenager and the rating is on the low side, I'll pass this time.

    Thanks for another great review.

    Just a heads-up, I'm moving my blog to

    http://emaginette.wordpress.com/

    Please follow me to my url. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment