Friday, April 20

The Iron Knight (The Iron Fey #4)

The Iron Knight (The Iron Fey #4)
Julie Kagawa

Publication Date: October 26, 2011
Date Finished: April 20, 2012
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 361

Photobucket
From Goodreads:
Ash, former prince of the Winter Court, gave up everything. His title, his home, even his vow of loyalty. All for a girl… and all for nothing.

Unless he can earn a soul.


To cold, emotionless faery prince Ash, love was a weakness for mortals and fools. His own love had died a horrible death, killing any gentler feelings the Winter prince might have had. Or so he thought.

Then Meghan Chase—a half human, half fey slip of a girl— smashed through his barricades, binding him to her irrevocably with his oath to be her knight. And when all of Faery nearly fell to the Iron fey, she severed their bond to save his life. Meghan is now the Iron Queen, ruler of a realm where no Winter or Summer fey can survive.

With the (unwelcome) company of his archrival, Summer Court prankster Puck, and the infuriating cait sith Grimalkin, Ash begins a journey he is bound to see through to its end— a quest to find a way to honor his solemn vow to stand by Meghan’s side.

To survive in the Iron realm, Ash must have a soul and a mortal body. But the tests he must face to earn these things are impossible. At least, no one has ever passed to tell the tale.

And then Ash learns something that changes everything. A truth that turns reality upside down, challenges his darkest beliefs and shows him that, sometimes, it takes more than courage to make the ultimate sacrifice.



This is probably one of the hardest reviews for me to write. I absolultey love The Iron Fey series and I read the first 3 books in this series quite quickly. This book took me absolutely aged to read. I'm not saying I didn't like it I did, but I thought the other three books in this series were much better.


Ash and Meghan have been separated. Meghan is now Queen of the Iron Realm, a place where Ash cannot go. In order to be with Meghan he will have to acquire a Human Soul. But it is easier said than done. With Puck and Grimalkin helping him along the way Ash is set to discover the truth about really happened all those years ago that put him and Puck as enemies and soon he is going to have a make a decision, between the past or the future... If he can survive the journey.


I really did enjoy this book. I love this world of the Fey, I love Ash and I was so happy to have a book told from Ash's perspective. However I felt like this book was a lot more slow paced than the previous books in this series. It took me a long time to get into it and through the first half of the book I just kept putting it down because I was a little bored. I'm not in any way saying this book is boring, it is far from it. I think the reason for my negative feelings towards this book as the beginning is because I loved the ending of The Iron Queen. I felt like it was a perfect ending. Okay so the love story didn't get a Happy Ever After ending and it was more of a tragic love sacrifice ending but I loved that. So many series have that Happy Ever After ending and I loved the ending of book 3 having something different to that and it wrapped up the storyline of The Iron Fey perfectly. I think because I loved that ending so much I didn't really see the point of this book and kind of felt like it was unnecessary. 
However, like everybody else I did want to see Meghan and Ash find a way to be together. I cried my eyes out at the ending of The Iron Queen. It was fantastic but it broke my heart so this is why I kept reading. I'm glad I did. It ended up being action-packed, fast-paced and I couldn't put it down once I got to about the halfway point.


I loved reading from Ash's point. We really got to see inside his head and I loved that. I love how well Julie has portrayed his character and you can see why he feels the way he does and we get to find out so much about Ash that we wouldn't have known without this book. This book just made me fall more and more in love with Ash.
Puck, oh, Puck. I love Puck. He is just hilarious and I could not stop laughing at some of his scenes and the things he sent. I think my favourite part of this book is seeing Ash and Puck's relationship start developing and mending. At the end of The Iron Queen I was certain that Ash and Puck would end up friends and I was right. Their relationship in this one is hilarious and I just loved seeing that.


The Iron Knight really bugged me in places. There is one particular character that I couldn't stand and wanted to reach into the book and bitch slap her. I'm not going to say who as it is a spoiler but those who've read it will know who I'm on about. I think that was one of the main reasons it took me so long to get through this book because I just kept putting the book down because this character irritated me so much. 
Overall I think that The Iron Knight is a great end to the series and I did end up loving it. I adored the ending and made me love the entire book once you knew what it was all for and what happened. My problem with the book is the pacing. It took me so long to get into it and at the beginning I was bored. Then the book would pick up and I'd read a big chunk only for it to slow down again. I so want to give this book five stars because I love it so much after finishing it but it took me so long to get into it and start to love it that I have to knock a star off for that. It is definitely worth reading and I would definitely recommend reading this series.


Photobucket
Photobucket

1 comments:

  1. I love listening to you argue with yourself about a book. It's like experiencing the novel through you. Quite illuminating. And fun.

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment