Thursday, April 19

My Blood approves #1, 2 and 3

My Blood Approves (My Blood Approves #1)
Amanda Hocking

Publication Date: March 17, 2010
Finish Date: March 27, 2012
Format: e-book

Photobucket

From Goodreads: Teenager Alice Bonham's life feels crazy after she meets Jack. With his fondness for pink Chuck Taylors and New Wave, he's unlike anyone she knows. Then she meets his brother, Peter. Even though he can't stand the sight of her, she's drawn to him. Falling for two guys isn't even the worst of her problems. Jack and Peter are vampires, and Alice finds herself caught between love and her own blood.

I have some mixed feelings about this book. The first 20% of the book was half spent laughing at some of the ridicilous sentences (normally I never do this) and the other half bored. The story is as onoriginal as it can get, normal girl meets mysertious boy, who she gradually finds out isn't human. Luckily I am not the person who puts down a book easily so I kept reading. In the end I did enjoy the book, but the story just isn't that good.

So the plot is very cliché, it really took me some time to see beyond this, especially because for a very long time there is nothing else than the cliché plot. After a while I just tried to read the story and not judge the plot and I actually did enjoy the story. The book also does improves a lot as the story progresses. There are many similarities with many books out there, but it the story is still original in some places.

Well I am not going to say much about the world building, because basically I can just repeat the fact that it is just cliche with some nice original details. I do want to say something about the characters, while I didn't like the main characters, there where actually a few side characters that I did really like, like Milo and Mea. Many of the characters really got some personality and those little things that make them seem real. I think the characters are also one reason that I kept reading. I just didn't like the main character, she just felt shallow and I didn't felt like I really got to know her.

I actually just don't have very much to say about this book. So to conclude: if you are looking for a nice and cliché vampire story than it is worth a try. I did enjoy it, but the story and world building just are cliché. I am not sure whether I will continue reading the rest of this series or not.







Fate (My Blood Approves #2)
Amanda Hocking

Publication Date: April 25, 2010
Finish Date: April 16, 2012
Format: e-book

Photobucket

From Goodreads: Fate - the second installment in the My Blood Approves series...

Alice Bonham thinks she's finally found a balance in her life between the supernatural and real life with her brother Milo. Jack - her sorta vampire boyfriend - keeps her at arm's length to keep her safe. As for his brother Peter... she's not sure where he's at, or what he wants with her. Worse still, she's not even sure what she wants with Peter.

When tragedy happens, Alice finds herself struggling with a terrible choice. Her decision has consequences that reach farther than she'd ever imagined...

At first I wasn't sure whether I wanted to continue reading this series. Book 1 was oké, but not great. But I was in the mood for a vampire book so I decided to continue reading this series and I am glad I did. Book 2 is better than book 1, it immediately starts with a nice and unexpected twist.

The story get's a little better and we do get to see more vampire action. Also because I already knew the characters, it was easier getting into this book. There where still parts where I thoughts the author used a bit of a funny way to describe things, but I didn't laugh out loud like in the first book. It is a quick read and the story is good, but not great and I still wanted to keep reading. The pace is most of the times pretty fast, but at some parts can be a bit too slow.

I liked seeing more of the characters and find out some big things about them in this book. Although I have to admit I still don't like the lead character, she just is a bit too whiny and feels sorry for herself a bit too often.

The ending is also just enough of a cliffhanger that I want to know what happens next. I am interested to see what happens to the characters now.

To conclude: it's a nice story,not great ,but still addictive. Book 2 is certainly better than book 1 and now I am interested to see what happens next. And if you are looking for a nice vampire story I would recommend this book.







Flutter (My Blood Approves #3)
Amanda Hocking

Publication Date: May 29, 2010
Finish Date: April 18, 2012
Format: e-book

Photobucket

From Goodreads: Flutter - the third book in the My Blood Approves series...

Being undead doesn't make life any easier for Alice Bonham.

Her younger brother's love life is heating up, while hers is... more complicated. Mae is falling apart, her best friend Jane is addicted to vampire bites, and if Alice doesn't get her bloodlust under control, someone will end up dead.

Alice volunteers for a rescue mission with Ezra. But going up against a pack of rabid vampires might be too much, even for him.
Somehow this book didn't really work for me. I did enjoy the first 2 books, but this book had too many faults I think. It already started with the beginning: too much drama and then suddenly it went all too easy and quick. The pace kept switching between too fast and too slow.

Also there where a few plot twists that didn't really work out for me. I don't want to spoil anything, but I expected more of this book.

And Alice is finally a vampire, but instead of getting to see see how she deals with it, we just get some flashbacks and well she doens't really is that different. She is just the same whiny and dramatic Alice and I still got annoyed with her. And Alice isn't the only character I was annoyed with in this book a few other characters also displayed some annyoing behavior and even acted a bit irrational and out of character I think.

Where the other book kept my interest, this book mainly just annoyed me. The story and the characters just weren't that good or believeable as in the other books. I will still read book 4 as I already bought it and want to see what happens.

To conclude: not as good as the first two books. It mostly irritated me and the characters and story just weren't that interesting.




2 comments:

  1. I only made it to around 22% in the first book (and that was due to some major perseverence)--and all for the reasons you named in your review. :o\

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, I actually found the first half of the first book really difficult to get through. I actually kept laughing at how ridicilous it was.

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment