Friday, June 1

Blood Heavy

Blood Heavy
SLJ Shortt

Publication Date: July 3, 2011
Finish Date: May 31, 2012
Source: for review, from ARR program on Goodreads group
Format: e-book

Photobucket

From Goodreads: It’s not easy being a teenager, especially when everything wants to eat you.

Seventeen year old Daniel ‘Jerry’ Jericho’s life is thrown into a blender made of claws and fangs when he’s dragged into the middle of the supernatural world he never knew existed.

After it’s discovered that his blood has the ability to remove the age old weaknesses from which vampires have always suffered, he becomes the most valuable human on the planet. Drinking his blood makes them immune to silver, stakes and even sunlight. But the door swings both ways and locked inside his veins might be the key to creating a permanent cure that would completely eradicate the species.

Now he’s being hunted by a group of sadistic bloodsuckers, studied by witches, psychics and professors while being protected by a pair of vampire sisters who are constantly on the verge of killing each other. On top of all that he has to deal with teenage hormones and loyal but worried friends as he tries desperately hard to find out what makes his blood so special.

However, the supernatural world might be in for a shock because this kid isn’t going to be a vampire’s happy meal without putting up one hell of a fight. From here on out it’s hunt or be hunted and Daniel Jericho is armed, grinning and ready for some monster killing. But going up against an undead army led by a souped-up ubervamp isn’t exactly a two for one special at the Playboy mansion.

It’s going to get bloody, but that’s okay because Jerry is blood heavy.
It is a good book, but just not my kind of book. What attracted me to this book was the original sounding blurb, and this certainly is one of the strong points of this book. The story is very original and if you have enough of vampires being romantized you should pick up this book, the vampires here are mostly evil and aggressive.

The prequel of this book realy captured my attention and immediately I was interested in reading more about this special blood. Too bad that after the prequel the story starts off a bit slow. It took me some time to get into the story. The story itself was interesting and I really liked the idea of a boy having blood that has such strange effects. So the story was good, but I still feel like something was missing. I also expected the focus to be more on Jerry's strange blood and them running from people who wanted it, but instead the focus was more on the action and fighting.

This book is full of action, a bit too much for my taste. And the story contains many arguments and screaming between the characters. Also I think there was a bit too much info about guns and cars, expecially when you are not interested in things like that. I did thought the book was nice read, it was kinda refreshing to see evil vampires and big fights for a change. It also it obvious that a male had written it and it has a male POV, for those who are interested in that. It also has a bit of a dark feel to it.

Another thing that captured my attention was the strange POV. It mostly is told from Jerry's POV, but more in a way like someone else sees it all happening and also other persons POV are described. And there where some sentences like: character X acted like that, but Jerry didn't notice it. I think this was a bit strange, but luckily sentences like that weren't used that often.

Then I still want to say a bit about the characters and the world building. In my opinion the world building was very limited, we get to know a bit about the vampires and hear there are other things out there, but not much more. I would've liked seeing more world building, but I also think that maybe it wouldn't really fit in with the rest of the story. I just wished we would've gotten a bit more of the overal picture.

Now about the characters, I did like the characters, but again there was something missing. I couldn't really connect with the characters, they didn't seem like people I would like knowing. I also didn't like the way the characters quickly went over to arguments and screaming and being a bit too emotional and dramatic at times. We did get an idea what went on in jerry's head, but I still didn't like him. I also think he made some rushed and stupid descisions.

To conclude: a nice and original book, but not really a book for me. It contained a bit too less world building and character depth and too much focus on the action, agression, guns and cars. It certainly has an original plot, but somehow it just isn't my type of book.


Photobucket
Photobucket

1 comments:

  1. Just gave both you an award! http://lili-lost-in-a-book.blogspot.com/2012/06/booker-award.html

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment