Friday, August 3

Dirty Blood (Dirty Blood #1)

Dirty Blood (Dirty Blood #1)
Heather Hildenbrand


Publication Date: 1 April, 2011
Finish Date: 3 Augustus, 2012
Format: e-book



From Goodreads: I killed a girl last night. I did it with my bare hands and an old piece of pipe I found lying next to the dumpster. But that’s not the part that got me. The part that scared me, the part I can’t seem to wrap my head around and still has me reeling, was that when she charged me, her body shifted – and then she was a wolf. All snapping teeth and extended claws. But by the time I stood over her lifeless body, she was a girl again. That’s about the time I went into shock… And that was the moment he showed up. And even now there are two thoughts that are so clear, they feel branded into my mind: One, Werewolves do exist, and two, I was born to kill them
When I started this book I was immediately drawn into the story. This book has an original take on the werewolf genre and creates a world where werewolves and werwolf hunters live. The story starts of pretty fast paced and very interesting. I was immediately intrigued and wanted to read more.

As the story progresses the pace becomes slower, but the story is still good. I really like the writing style of this author and wanted to keep reading, every time I decided to just read another chapter I ended up reading more than just one chapter. There where a few times the story was a bit unbelieveable, a few parts that where a bit predictable and some few descisions in the book that where made that where a bit unbelieveable. But other than that the story was really good and enjoyable and certainly had that keep-reading feel.

I really liked the main character, she is trown into a world she didn't knew and is just trying to make the best of it. And because she is a hunted she has an inate sense of how to kill a werewolf. I really liked her and she was a really strong character. I also like the fact that while she is still new to it all and not an epic fighter yet, she does know a bit because of her heritage. One of the minpoints is that while the main character get's lots of attention the other characters are a bit shallow. I kept forgetting who some of the minor characters where, because they didn't had any qualities that made them stand out or even anything to suggest what kind of personality they have.

The world building was pretty original, I can't remember having ever read a book about werwolf hunters and really liked this aspect. I did think the book could profit form a bit more world building, many things are just that way and aren't really explained. Also simple things like how many werewolves there are and what most do aren't explained. Another point that I just couldn't accept was the fact that werewolves can talk in their wolf forms, I just couldn't understand why and how they would be able to talk in their wolf form. And think it would look absolutely ridicilous to see a werewolf talk. What I did like is the fact that there is hinted at some more world building in the next book, especially concerning the hunters.

To conclude: I really enjoyed this book, it's original, fast paced and a great read. I also loved the writing style and the main character. What I didn't like was the fact that the side characters didn't seem to have any real personalities and I had some issues with the world building. Still it was a great read and I am definitely looking forward to the other books in this series.



2 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it. Just wait for the next book. I loved it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review, Lolita. I especially liked this one. The book sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment