Thursday, August 30

Spotlight On: Dirty Blood Series by Heather Hildenbrand

Hey guys,
So a few weeks ago I was approached by awesome author Heather Hildenbrand. The third book in her Dirty Blood series Blood Bond is due for release tomorrow and she asked me to help spread the word by posting something on the blog today.
I had never read anything by Heather but had had her series on my Wishlist for a while so when she offered the first book for me to review I jumped at the chance. I am now thinking what on earth have I been waiting for? She is amazing and fast becoming a favourite author of mine. I was completely blown away by Dirty Blood, the first in her paranormal series that involves werewolves. I have never really been a fan of werewolf books. I have liked them but not loved them. This series is amazing! As soon as I had finished Dirty Blood I had been on amazon buying book 2 Cold Blood for my kindle and starting it straight away.

So in preparation for the release Blood Bond I am sharing my reviews of Dirty Blood and Cold Blood book 1 and 2 in the incredible Dirty Blood series. But not only that I also have a interview with a very important character in the series.

Dirty Blood (Dirty Blood #1)
Heather Hildenbrand

Published By: Accendo Press
Publication Date: April 28, 2011
Date Read: August 24, 2012
Genre: YA - Paranormal/Werewolf
Source: Review Copy from Heather Hildenbrand
Format: E-Book
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11297376-dirty-blood

From Goodreads:
I killed a girl last night. I did it with my bare hands and an old piece of pipe I found lying next to the dumpster. But that’s not the part that got me. The part that scared me, the part I can’t seem to wrap my head around and still has me reeling, was that when she charged me, her body shifted – and then she was a wolf. All snapping teeth and extended claws. But by the time I stood over her lifeless body, she was a girl again. That’s about the time I went into shock… And that was the moment he showed up.

Now, all I can do is accept the truths that are staring me in the face. One, Werewolves do exist. And Two, I was born to kill them.

"Responsibility and visions have nothing to do with it Tara. You are my destiny."

Wow!! I am completely and utterly blown away by this book. When Heather emailed me asking me to review this book I instantly said yes. This is one of the books that had been sat on my wishlist for months but I had never gotten around to getting it. One of the reasons for that is that I haven't read many werewolf books that I have loved. Sure, I'm liked them enough but I had yet to read a werewolf book that I fell in love with. Now I have! I think this is the first werewolf book that I found unputdownable and I am so glad I read it.

Tara is just a normal girl. She goes to school, hangs out with friends and has boy drama along with all other normal teenage girls. But suddenly she is thrown into this supernatural world and discovers she is anything BUT normal. She is a Hunter... destined to hunt Werewolves. Yea you heard right Werewolves Little did Alex know that they do exist. But if she is destined to hunt them why is she starting to grow feelings towards Wes... a very hot, incredibly sweet and overly protective Were? Is everything as black and white as they seem or is there a way for sworn enemies to actually be together?

I love this book! It was so damn good! I was a little skeptical about it at first as like I said very few werewolf books completely capture me so much I can't put them down. I have found the first werewolf book that I love! Right from the start I was completely captured and transported from my house to this addictive world of werewolves and hunters. What I really love about this book is that this is possibly the most original werewolf book I have ever come across. It's not just a case of someone was bitten, turned into a werewolf and had drama joining a pack or something like that. I have found a lot of books like that. But Dirty Blood was completely different. Bites to not equal turning into a werewolf and this world of were's is definitely more complicated that other werewolf books. There is more than meets the eye for sure and there are twists and turns all the way through the book.

Tara is such an awesome character. I really love her. I think she is such a strong character and you really see her go through a journey throughout the book. At the beginning of the book Tara freaks out... a lot when she finds this hidden world of the werewolves but by the end she is a strong kick-ass heroine who will put herself in danger to protect her friends and family. I love her. She is definitely my kinda girl who won't sit back while others take care of the problem. No she is right in there in the middle of everything and that's what I love about her.

Wes... oh Wes. I am absolutely 100% head over heels in love with Wes. He is just all kinds of yumminess. Right from the start I was in love with him. He is so awesome and made me laugh so many times. He is just everything that every girl wants wrapped into one very hot package. He is hot... and I mean HAWT! He is funny and thoughful. He is so sweet and very protective and just thinking about him makes me sigh! I am in love.... again!

This book has everything... hot werewolves... did I say that already?!?! Oh... I did? Guess I should move on from the hot werewolves then.
There is none stop action and twists and turns at every turn. It had me guessing right till the very end and had me sat on the edge of my seat not able to turn the pages fast enough. I am just completely in love with this book and can't wait to read book two to find out what happens next. If you like books with lots of action plus heartwarming romance this is definitely the book for you.

"I was stubborn and unwilling to admit I was falling for you, even when I already knew I had."




 Cold Blood (Dirty Blood #2)
Heather Hildenbrand

Published By: Accendo Press
Publication Date: November 22, 2011
Date Read: August 28, 2012
Genre: YA - Paranormal/Werewolf
Source: Bought
Format: E-Book
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12710955-cold-blood
From Goodreads:
Wood Point Academy is not at all what I expected. For one thing, it looks like a cross between military school and Buckingham Palace. Everyone stares, the floors shine so bright you can see your reflection in them from a mile away, and no one smiles. Unless they're kicking your butt in the process.

At least I've got plenty to take my mind off the fact that my psycho cousin, Miles De'Luca, keeps calling and declaring his love and promising to come for me just as soon as he's destroyed anyone standing in our way. Wes isn't going to like that idea. So between Miles, Wood Point's evil welcoming committee, and the drill sergeant hottie trainer from hell, I just keep asking myself, how did I end up here?
"You don't disgust me, Tara. You amaze me, impress me, surprise me, and entertain me. You definitely don't disgust me."
     - Alex 

Wow! Just when I thought it couldn't get any better Heather blows me away again. I absolultey adored Dirty Blood, the first book in the series and just had to read book two straight away as I couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen next. In no way did I think Cold Blood could beat Dirty Blood. I was wrong! Cold Blood was phenomenal and I am coming to the conclusion that Heather cannot write a thing that I am not going to love.

Tara is devastated to be shipped off to Hunter boarding school away from her friends and Wes. Add that to the fact that almost everybody there hates her because of her heritage Tara hates it! But then Tara meets Alex, her trainer who she recognises but also seems to hate her. But there is more to Alex that meets the eye. Can she continue to learn to be a great hunter and deal with her growing feelings for Alex when she's supposed to be with Wes?

I loved this book a lot more than I actually thought I would. I had heard about this 'other guy' before I started reading it and it didn't make me happy. I am a Wes girl! I love him and nobody else in this series could ever beat him. So when Alex first made his entrance I instantly disliked him. Not only was he not Wes but he was a total ass! But... the more I read the more I started to see a different kinder side to Alex. By the end I really did love him... but he's not Wes and I am still firmly planted to Team Wes.

There was definitely not enough Wes for me in this book and I missed him a lot. I wanted to slap Tara so bad for pulling away from him and not talking to him but I understood why she did especially when she feels like everyone is keeping secrets from her. This book is definitely a big journey for Tara. She goes through so much and finds out so much about herself I really felt like she grew into a much stronger more capable character that before. I love her and she is definitely one of my favoruite YA heroines ever.

This book is just full of twists and turns and just when I was sure I had figured out what was going to happen I was completely shocked and blown away. I think I spend that last 40% of the book with my mouth hanging open as I couldn't believe what was happening. This is just a phenomenal chapter in the Dirty Blood series and I was left hanging going OMG I need the next book right now. I think I loved this book ever more than the first one. I adored every second of it and couldn't put it down at all.

Its so difficult to talk about this book without spoiling anything because it just completely blew my mind. This is without a doubt my favourite werewolf book of all time and I cannot wait to read the next book in the series.

"It's partly my fault for not being around more. If I want to keep you, I guess I'm going to have to fight for you."
     - Wes 


And now please welcome Elizabeth, Tara's Mother, to the blog to talk to us about her intentions.


Hi Elizabeth,
Thanks for agreeing to talk to us here on K-Books today.  
*crosses legs, tugs on skirt* Thank you for having me.
My first question is why did you keep Tara’s heritage secret from her?  
The decision was not an easy one, but then none of my options would’ve led to “easy.” Not for her. After her father was killed, I knew whomever was responsible wouldn’t stop until they’d destroyed Tara as well. The safest way to hide was to keep the truth from everyone, including her. You can’t give away what you don’t know.
Did you not think it would have been better if she had known from the start so she could have learned to protect herself better?  
Yes and no. Our safety hinged on remaining undetected by the supernatural community. The more Hunter-like qualities Tara exhibited, the easier it would’ve been to unknowingly give herself away. Unfortunately, the cat’s out of the bag now. I’ll admit her lack of knowledge is a hindrance. *lifts chin* But I did what I thought best at the time.
You seem very against Tara being involved in the Werewolf/Hunter world yet you sent her to the Hunter Boarding School. Did you want her to go or were you just conforming to the fact that it was better for her to learn to protect herself?  
I want her safe. Wood Point provides safety for now and the tools she’ll need to remain safe later.
You seem very against Tara and Wes’ relationship yet everything Wes has done has been to protect her. Why do you not approve?  
I do not doubt that he cares for her. Or that he will protect her. But she wouldn’t need so much protecting if his very existence didn’t draw danger.
I know firsthand the sort of danger and complications a relationship like theirs holds. When Jeremiah and I … when we got together, it was hard. Even with my family accepting us, there were moments I struggled to see past the differences. Many of our friends turned against us. Death threats, fights—*smiled wryly*--and not all of them were fought by Jeremiah. It was worth it, because I loved him. But … it’s not a life I’d wish on another. Especially my daughter. Wes isn’t a bad person, he’s just not good for her.
You seem to be against The Cause yet you used to be a part of it. What changed?  
The Cause was once a promise of hope to me. To be a part of a group that would finally bring peace… how can you say no to that? But … then, the attack happened. *tears up* I lost Jeremiah, my home, my friends, everything I knew. The Cause promised hope and it lied. Instead, it took all hope from me.
Is there any chance you might once again become a part of The Cause or let Tara become a part of The Cause to help bring peace? 
If it were up to me, I would move us as far from The Cause as possible. Somewhere without phone or internet. Somewhere we could be safe. But I’m not so naïve to think Tara would come. I could drag her but I can’t hold her forever. When she’s no longer a minor … I guess I’ll have to accept her choice. Until then, I will align myself with them as long as it’s what’s best for Tara.
Thanks you for taking the time to talk to us.  
Thank you for having me. I know I must come across as overprotective or well, mean, even. I don’t try to be. I just … when you have a daughter, you’ll understand. A mother’s love is all-encompassing. It means your own life no longer matters unless you’re using it to protect theirs. I would do anything for my daughter. Anything.
a Rafflecopter giveaway

2 comments:

  1. I must say that I usually read about vamps, but this series sound very interesting. I'm sure it will be different, but I think I'd like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These books sound good.

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment