Monday, September 3

Blog Tour: Tall, Dark and Divine by Jenna Bennett

Hey guys,
I am so excited to be a part of the blog tour for Tall, Dark and Divine, the stunning new book from Jenna Bennett.

From Goodreads:
Eros, the Greek god of love, swore off the useless emotion after his ex ran off with some Viking godling. He's lost all interest in his matchmaking business, Made in Heaven, until he spots the sweet baker who works across the street. Before she stirs his sullen heart, he'll match her and get back to his ambrosia-laced wine in no time.

Lonely baker Annie Landon has given up on finding Mr. Right. What she needs is Mr. Right Here, Right Now, and this so-called “Greek God” she’s heard is on the rebound sounds exactly like the perfect kind of distraction. But picking up the bitter, workaholic is easier said than done…especially when he seems unreasonably determined to match her with someone else.

Can a woman looking for love—and the matchmaking god who wants her to find it with someone else—have a shot at a happy ending? May the best god—or mortal—win.

When I first heard of this book I was so excited to read it. I am such a massive fan of mythology so just the first sentence of the blurb had me so excited to read this book.

Check out my review HERE

It is now my pleasure to welcome Jenna to K-Books


Hi Jenna
Thanks for taking the time out of your schedule to be on K-Books today.

Thank you for having me; I appreciate it!

Your novel Tall Dark and Divine has just been published. Are you excited about having this book out in the world?

Of course! Maybe I should be used to it by now – Tall, Dark and Divine is the fifteenth book I’ve written and the twelfth to see the light of day – but it never gets old! It’s always fun to see how people respond, and always nerve-wracking if they don’t respond the way you want them to. And it’s usually a bit scary too, since – whether you mean to or not – you’re always putting a part of yourself out there, a bit like standing in the middle of town square in nothing but your skivvies.

It has a mythological aspect to it. What made you decide to write a mythological book?

A few things converged. I came up with the original concept for the book a couple of years ago, during a bout of reading a lot of Gena Showalter’s Lords of the Underworld series, along with quite a few other paranormal romances. (I tend to binge on a certain genre or type of book for a while, and then I move on to something else.) I love Lords of the Underworld, just as I loved a lot of the other paranormal romances I read, but they were all pretty dark. I don’t really like dark, and I can only deal with it for so long, both in reading and in writing. So I began playing with the idea of writing a paranormal romance series that wasn’t dark. The first thing that came into my mind was Eros and his matchmaking agency.

For a while, that was all I had, though. The concept and the first few pages of text, with Eros sulking and drowning his sorrows in ambrosia because Psyche has left him. It wasn’t until earlier this summer – May? – that I found out about the Covet imprint and what they were looking for. The call went out for contemporary romances with a paranormal twist, and that sounded like exactly what I’d envisioned. So I came up with a basic idea for the rest of the story, offered to write it, and the rest is history.

The first draft took seventeen days, by the way, so it was a lot like opening a vein and having the story come gushing out. If that isn’t too gross a metaphor. But once I started I couldn’t stop, and the story pretty much wrote itself after that.

I adore mythology so I am very excited to read it.

Thank you! I’ve always liked mythology too. You probably guessed that, huh?

Were there any characters that you had more fun developing and writing than others?

They were all pretty fun, to be honest. None of them were a drag or difficult to deal with, certainly. Annie and Eros’s relationship was fun to develop, of course, and having Harry in the middle of it added an extra little layer of amusement, since I could go hog wild and have him be as cluelessly rude as I could manage. My editor actually had to hold me back, since she was afraid I’d make him unredeemable. But I have to say, I think I enjoyed writing Dion the most. Dionysus, Eros’s best friend and the Greek god of wine and debauchery. He’s full of himself, absolutely certain of his own irresistibility – rightly so – and his language is pretty ripe, too. He’s the one who told Eros, “You gotta spread the gift around, know what I mean? Every woman deserves a night in the sack with a god.”

Was there any real-life inspiration that you drew on while writing?

Not in the characters. I haven’t met a whole lot of Greek gods in my life, unfortunately. But the book takes place in Astoria, which is a neighborhood in New York City. I spent most of my twenties there. It’s a heavily Greek neighborhood – or at least it was at the time; the largest Greek settlement in the world outside Greece – and it seemed a perfect place to drop a bunch of ancient Greek gods and goddesses, to see how they’d deal with modern life. It’s been a few years since I moved away, so it may not be the same anymore as when I lived there, but the Astoria in the book is the same Astoria I used to live in.

And finally what can we expect to see from you in the future?

Oh, lots and lots of stuff! On September 4th, the 6th book in my cozy mystery series, Wall to Wall Dead, will be released. In October, a contemporary romance called Friends With Benefits is scheduled from Entangled Publishing’s Indulgence imprint, and on November 13th, the first book in my science fiction romance series is coming. It’s called Fortune’s Hero, and is the first of four books about the crew of a smuggling ship called the Good Fortune. My editor says it reads like a cross between Indiana Jones and Star Trek, which I’ll totally take!

As far as producing more books goes, I have to finish the second SFR, Fortune’s Honor, before I can think about anything else, but I’d like to write a few more Greek god books. There’s Adonis, and Alastor, and Dionysus, and of course Harry, still looking for happy endings.  I have two more science fiction romances under contract, that I have to write. I’m developing an idea for a new cozy mystery series for when this one is over, and I’m also working on a proposal for a trilogy with two other Entangled authors, about a vampire, a werewolf and an incubus, and the women who fall in love with them.

Busy, busy. :)

Thanks so much for taking the time to be on K-Books today.

Thanks so much for having me; I appreciate it! 

How awesome if that!! I cannot wait for those upcoming books.

 About Jenna Bennett:

Jennie Bentley is the author of the New York Times bestselling Do-It-
Yourself Home Renovation mysteries from Berkley Prime Crime, while
Jenna Bennett writes the Cutthroat Business mysteries for her own
gratification. Jenna is also the author of the upcoming Soldiers of
Fortune series of futuristic romances from Entangled Publishing. The
first book in the series, Fortune's Hero, will debut in November 2012.
In addition to futuristic romance, Jenna also has the first books in
a contemporary romantic suspense series and a paranormal series
coming from Entangled Publishing in fall 2012.
A former Realtor® and renovator and current full-time author, Jenna/Jennie lives in Nashville, Tennessee, with a husband, two kids, two frogs, two goldfish, a killer parakeet, and a hyper-active dog. Originally from Norway, she has spent more than twenty years in the US and still hasn’t been able to kick her native accent.
She's a member of Sisters in Crime (SinC), Romance Writers of America (RWA), the Music City Romance Writers (MCRW), the International Thriller Writers (ITW), Women's National Book Association (WNBA), the Author's Guild, and two different PTOs. 

Connect With Jenna:

Photobucket

1 comments:

  1. Good luck with the book, Jenna. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment