Tuesday, September 4

Review: Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit Chronicles #1)

Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit Chronicles #1)
Gena Showalter

Publisher: Harlequin Teen / MiraINK (UK)
Publication Date: September 25, 2012
Date Read: August 17, 2012
Genre: Young Adult; Fantasy/Zombies
Source: Review Copy from MiraINK Publishing
Format: Paperback
Pages: 404
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11300302-alice-in-zombieland

From Goodreads:
She won’t rest until she’s sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever.

Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that’s all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.

Her father was right. The monsters are real….

To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn’t careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies….


I wish I could go back and do a thousand things differently.
I'd tell my sister no.
I'd never beg my mother to talk to my dad.
I'd zip my lips and swallow those hateful words.
Or, barring all of that, I'd hug my sister, my mom and my dad one last time.
I'd tell them I love them.
I wish... Yeah, I wish.
"Never forget that evil is evil. You cannot change it. You cannot lead it to the light. But, if you let it, evil can lead you to the darkness."

Wow, I don't really know what I was expecting when I started this book but it was definitely not this. This book completely and utterly blew me away and I will be anxiously awaiting book 2.

Alice just wants to be normal. She doesn't want to obey her 'crazy' father and his 'delusions' of the monsters that come out at night. But when Alice looses all of her family in an accident she suddenly starts seeing these monsters. Could it be that her father was right? That there could be a danger in the dark? Suddenly Alice is thrown into the dangerous world of zombies and slayers. Will she have what it takes to survive? And why does she feel drawn to the mysterious, bad-boy Cole? One thing is for sure... Alice's life will never be the same.

I have never read a book by Gena Showalter before. Yea I know I am so late coming into books by this author, but better late than never right? Well with this being my first Gena Showalter book I didn't really know what to expect. I am heavily impressed and am a fan for sure. This book is fantastic. I was totally on the edge of my seat pretty much the whole way through this book. I was completely captured by Gena's phenomenal writing and couldn't bare to put it down. One thing she knows how to do is write some creepy zombies. You know you're completely entrapped in a story when as the sun starts to go down you start shooting nervous glances out the window waiting for the zombies. No joke I was sat reading and the sun started to go down and I was like... oh hell no I ain't going outside. The zombies might get me. Yea I was completely sucked into this book I'd started to convince myself it's real... though I would take the zombies down if it meant Cole was real. Oh hell Yes!

Alice is such a great character and one this I love about her is that she grows so much as a character throughout the book. She is amazing. She starts off as this little girl who is sick of her crazy family and just wants to be normal to being this strong fearsome heroine who will put herself in the path of danger to make sure the people she cares about are safe and to avenge her family. She knows there is a chance that she could die fighting the zombies but she is willing to go down fighting, doing all she can to rid the world of them.

Cole... OMG I am in love (Yes again). He is amazing! When we first met Cole and shared his and Alice's first weird vision I was a gonner. I was in love and the more I read the more I loved him... even when he was acting like a total and complete ass. He is strong, mysterious and dangerous. The typical bad boy... seriously what more could you ask for? He is protective and will do anything he can to protect those he cares about. Basicaly him and Alice are the perfect couple... even if I do wanna steal him ;)

I loved this book. It is the perfect mix of romance and action. With a total drool-worthy bad boy and a kick-ass heroine, this is fast becoming one of my favourite zombie books. There's no standing around going oh no zombie's are coming what do I do? Oh no Alice is straight in there fighting them and I love that. Alice in Zombieland such a fantastic book and a really unique take on zombies. Zombie's that only come out at night, I found it very refreshing and different from other zombie novels where the zombie's are out all the time. I also found it refreshing that the zombies were spiritual beings. I found that a very unique and new concept and that's what I love about this book. It is very fresh and a new take on Zombies.

There are definitely signs to the classic Alice in Wonderland novel but not many. It is a completely unique story all in it's own but with little hints of the rabbit and time I loved seeing the hints of the classic but I am really glad that there wasn't a whole lot. Personally I am not a fan of Alice in Wonderland so for this to be it's own fresh story with just little hints to it was perfect to me.

I am a massive fan of new fun twists on classics and this is done superbly. It was incredible and I loved every single second of it. It completely blew me away and I will definitely be reading a book by this author again. I think any fan of fantasy books, whether fans of zombie books or not, will love this book. It was fantastic and I will be desperately awaiting the sequel.

AH-MA-ZING!

"But you're also sweet. You don't smile very often, but when you do... I find myself thinking very nasty thought."



3 comments:

  1. Sharon @ Obsession with Books4 September 2012 at 11:34

    I loved this book as well, I reviewed it today on my blog & my thoughts are very much like yours. It had everything I adore in a good YA novel.

    Thank-you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Alice in Wonderland and zombie books. Put them together, and I am HOOKED. I love your review, I am a constant visitor but I rarely comment.
    I would be grateful if you check out my blog here:
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My feels are with Soma- Alice =good. Zombies = good. This=awesome. I've got a copy of this to read and I'm really looking forwards to it. And I read Intertwined and really enjoyed it. Yay for Gena!

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment