Friday, November 30

Sun Dwellers Book Blast


Today I am participating in the Book Blast for the Sun Dwellers. The Sun dwellers is the third book in the Dwellers series, written by the amazing David Estes. It is a dystopia series about a world were everyone lives under the ground. I also have to say it's one of my favourite dystophia series and David Estes is not only a good writer he is also an amazing person.

First I want to show the covers for this series (which you probably have already seen, but still :p)

The Moon Dwellers (The Dwellers #1)
The Star Dwellers (The Dwellers #2)
The Sun Dwellers (The Dwellers #3)
And today is the release day of the Sun Dwellers and today it will be priced at $.99 and the first two books in the series also will be on sale for $.99. So if you want to read this series head over to amazon and buy them!

I also have a quote for you from my beta read review of the sun dwellers:
"There are some very surprising twists and turns. And the ending is awesome! I can’t wait to read what David writes next! "

I also have a quest post by the amazing David Estes, but first a bit about David himself: 
David Estes was born in El Paso, Texas but moved to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania when he was very young. David grew up in Pittsburgh and then went to Penn State for college. Eventually he moved to Sydney, Australia where he met his wife. A reader all his life, he began writing novels for the children's and YA markets in 2010, and started writing full time in June 2012. Now he travels the world writing with his wife, Adele. David's a writer with OCD, a love of dancing and singing (but only when no one is looking or listening), a mad-skilled ping-pong player, and prefers writing at the swimming pool to writing at a table.


And now it's time for the quest post by David Estes about being an indie author and what his day looks like:



The life of a fulltime Indie author
by David Estes

I’ve been getting a lot of questions lately, both from other Indie (or soon to be Indie) authors, about what I do and how I do it, so I thought I’d share a bit about my life now that I’m a fulltime Indie author.

Well, the first thing I want to share is something I don’t do. I don’t spend all my time writing books. Yeah, I’m a “fulltime writer” who doesn’t write fulltime. Honestly, it’s weird. I probably write about the same amount as I did when I was holding down a fulltime job in addition to writing books. It makes no sense and yet it’s true. Despite having full days to dedicate to writing books, they disappear so quickly I’m left wondering where they went. So what do I do every day?

In a nutshell, a bit of everything. As an Indie author, I’m responsible for the creation, publishing, and marketing of my books from start to finish. That’s a heck of a lot of work and it only gets harder as you write more books and gain more readers. When I wake up in the morning, I have a quick breakfast and then start writing. Every writer has a time when they find writing the easiest and most productive. For me it’s the morning. I usually write for at least three hours. During the third hour, my amazingly supportive wife, Adele, brings me a coffee to ensure I finish strong, and also to remind me that I’m ignoring her and that I can’t sit there and write the entire day away (although occasionally I do when I’m nearing completion of a book—Adele makes an exception for that).

Next I spend at least an hour managing my “book stuff”. That might include responding to reader or Indie author questions, managing giveaways, having fun on Goodreads, corresponding with my beta readers, copy editor, cover artist, or marketing team, writing guest posts, doing author interviews, etc etc etc. The list goes on and on as to what is included in “book stuff”. I could spend all day on the stuff, but I try to cut it off after no more than an hour.

Adele and I have lunch together every day. A little more book stuff after lunch and then we spend time together doing something fun, going to the beach, sightseeing in whatever country we happen to be in, playing tennis—you get the picture. It’s quality time as husband and wife. An extremely important part of being an Indie. You can’t let writing books take over your life or you’ll forget to live it.

Whenever we finish with our activities, it’s back to book stuff for at least an hour, then dinner, always with Adele. I usually spend the early evening working on publishing related activities, like formatting my books for Kindle, print, Nook and Smashwords, repricing books, tracking sales, editing, and revising. At some point I watch a bit of TV with Adele, while still working via my iPhone, usually fan mail and Goodreads stuff. She goes to bed earlier than me and I keep working on whatever project I’m in the middle of, maybe have a late call with my marketing team to organize the next book release. When I get tired enough to sleep, I pull out my Kindle, read a good book for a half hour and go to sleep. That’s it. A long day in which I enjoy every minute. Then I do it all over again the next day. I rarely take a day off, which includes the writing bit. If I had to guess, I probably write 330-340 days a year averaging close to 3,000 words. It’s intense, but like anything in life, you have to practice and keep at it to be successful.

Although I am pretty much always “working”, I wouldn’t trade my life as a fulltime Indie author for anything. It’s what I am meant to do, what I’ll always do. I’m so thankful to the many readers who have supported me and given me the chance to do what I love. I will always be in your debt.
 

I think it's interesting to know that there is so much book stuff except for writing the book that you have to do as an Indie author.

So that's it for this Book Blast! I hope you enjoyed the quest post and don't forget to buy the Moon Dwellers and the Star Dwellers if you want, today only for $.99!

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Lolita and Kay!! As always, I"m honored to be included on your amazing blog!! You are two of the coolest people I know :)
    I hope all your members have a chance to pick up The Dwellers Saga today while it's SUPER CHEAP!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww thanks :). You're one of coolest authors I know :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, sounds exactly like my day. Minus the exotic locals and add in children.
    And the late night calls, while the husband is snoring is work... ok sometimes it is goofing off as well. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment