Monday, July 8

Review: Taste the Heat (Love and Games #1) + Author Inteview

Taste the Heat (Love and Games #1)
Rachel Harris

Published By: Entangled Publishing - Bliss Imprint
Publication Date: July 8, 2013
Date Read: June 25, 2013
Genre: Adult - Contemporary Romance
Source: Review Copy from Entangled Publishing
Format: E-Book
 photo AddtoGoodreads.png

From Goodreads:
One sexy fire captain. One Cajun chef, One combustible kitchen…

When chef Colby Robicheaux returned home to New Orleans to save her family restaurant, the last person she expected to reconnect with was her brother’s best friend and her childhood crush. As tempting as a sugar-coated beignet, Jason is one dish she doesn’t want to taste. Colby is counting down the days till she can leave the place where her distrust of love and commitment originated and go back to Vegas.

Fire captain Jason Landry isn’t looking for love, either. He knows he should focus on finding the perfect mother for his daughter, but when he first sees Colby, all grown up and gorgeous, he can’t help but be drawn to her. And when she suggests a no-strings-attached fling, Jason doesn’t want to say no.

As their relationship grows more intense, Colby finds that Jason isn’t as easy to leave behind as she thought. Could turning up the heat on something real be worth the possibility of getting burned?

When I first heard that Rachel Harris was bringing out a Adult Contemporary novel I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Since reading Rachel's debut novel My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century, I fell head over heels in love with Rachel's books and I couldn't wait to get started on her adult one. Taste the Heat is such a fantastic adult novel. I was not disappointed in it at all. It met all of my expectations and more.

Colby escaped her home town years ago and she's been free living her dream ever since. When she returns home to help on with the family restaurant she is counting down the days until she can leave. But then Jason runs into her life. The boy she has had a crush on forever... and he's finally noticing her. Jason had never noticed his best friends little sister in that way before but he can't help but notice how beautiful she had become. And she's the only woman to get his heart pumping in a long time.
Jason and Colby can't deny the attraction between them... but they have both been burned. Can they get their attraction out of their system and walk away... or are they destined to heal the other?

I loved this book. I mean literally adored it. Right from the very first page Rachel's amazing writing stye captured me and wouldn't let me go until the end. I read the whole book in one sitting and literally could not put it down. Right from the start I was completely emotionally invested in the story and the characters and couldn't wait to see how the story would turn out and what was going to happen to these characters.

Colby is such a great character. I instantly associated with her right from the start of the book. She is totally kick-ass and I love her 'no-crap' attitude. She is such an awesome character to read about and you instantly sympathise with her as you learn more about her past. She's the kind of character that when she hurts you hurts and you love her as a best friend so just want to jump in the book and give her a huge hug!

Jason... oh be still my heart I am completely in love. Right from the start of the book I loved Jason. He is one of those fictional boys that you desperately wish was real and that you could bump into him at some point because he is so amazing. Sexy, swoon-worthy and sometimes damn right panty dropping amazing! I adore him!

Taste the Heat was such a phenomenal adult debut for Rachel Harris and I seriously cannot wait to see what she will come up with next for these adult contemporaries. I am on such a huge contemp kick right now and this was the perfect book for me. I loved every single second of it. If you are looking for an upbeat contemporary book that has the perfect mix of cute romance and super sexiness then look no further. Taste the Heat is phenomenal and introduces the character for the next Love and Games book and I will be counting down the days until I get my hands on it.

 photo 5-star.png

Now I am so excited to announce that I have an exclusive interview with the amazing Rachel.


Hi Rachel,

Thanks so much for joining us on K-Books today.


When did you first discover that you wanted to be a writer?
I’ve always been a storyteller. My diaries are filled with random short stories as early as the age of five, and I have countless other short stories and half-completed novels all the way through eighth grade. In high school, I concentrated more on poetry…well, poetry and boys. Lots of boys. My writing then actually was mostly recapping dates and crushes in my diary, and all the general craziness that now serves as inspiration for my YA novels (grin). When I was in college, I wrote fan-fiction for Guiding Light, and then after my kids were born, I wrote magazine articles for a homeschool magazine. But it wasn’t until the spring/summer of 2010 when I finally discovered Twilight and inhaled all four books in a week’s time that I got the bug to try this thing again, but for real. I started writing my first novel in August of that year, got an agent and contract a year later on the second book I wrote (My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century), and have completed two more novels, including this book, my adult debut, Taste the Heat, since then.  
Your debut novel, My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century, was amazing. I dubbed it the historical novel for people who don’t like historical. Why did you decide to write a YA novel with a historical influence?
Aw, thank you!! And yes, that is still one of my absolute favorite quotes EVER and I use it a lot in my own marketing (he he). My first novel was a straight up YA Contemporary Romance (now titled The Fine Art of Pretending, releasing next year with Spencer Hill Contemporary). When I finished that, I wanted to dive right back into writing, and I had a ton of ideas. Around that time, I was obsessed with reading adult historical romances, but while I read them, I always imagined being there, but knowing what I know now. With a modern day lens. Then I read a couple time-travel books and I decided, that’s what I wanted to do. Tell a story about a modern day girl doing what I always pretended to do while I read—time travel to a different time and experience that life. I wanted it to be fun and fresh for exactly that reason though, so that readers who don’t like historicals can enjoy it, too. And I chose that time for two reasons—one, it allowed me to have the fun title (he he), but mostly because I LOVE the Renaissance. And I have a long-standing love affair with all things Italy.

So your debut Adult novel is due to come out, what made you turn to adult contemporary?
I grew up reading my mom’s red Harlequin novels. I remember sneaking them out to recess, desperately needing to find out what happened and if the characters had a happily ever after, but scared to death my Catholic school teachers would find out! So I’ve always loved that genre. And while I love reading YA, I’ve also always read my adult romances, too. It was a new challenge to write in a different genre and I was curious to see if I could do it, plus these characters had a story that I couldn’t not tell. I came up with the idea and pitched it to my editor about seven months before I ever had a chance to actually start drafting, but in all that time, I keep thinking about this story, this town, these people.  
What was the inspiration behind the storyline of Taste the Heat?
I’ve always wanted to write a story about New Orleans. The first book I tried to write—and was quickly scrapped—was a paranormal set there, but I was just so eager for people to fall in love with my hometown, that I focused way too much on the setting. So I scrapped that project, always knowing I’d come back for another story there. When my family and I caught an episode of the show Chopped on Food Network that was about fire captains, and saw a certain flirtatious moment between one of the hottie chefs and the female judge, a story idea was born! What better way to tell my New Orleans story then have it be based around food???
Was there any particular scenes you enjoyed writing more than others?
I have three favorite scenes, although to be honest, this was probably the most fun I’ve had writing a book, ever. But I love a certain humorous scene that takes place in the feminine hygiene section of a store (*giggles*), I LOVED writing the scene where Jason feeds Colby blindfolded (also loved the closed-eye-eating research I had to do for it), and finally, the date night in New Orleans itself was such a blast for me to write.
Was there any particular characters you enjoyed writing more?
Honestly, this isn’t an authorial “oh everyone rocks in my books, of course” response, but I really did love all the main characters. Emma was fun and spunky, Colby made me laugh out loud while writing, Jason was pure yumminess, Sherry cracked me the heck up (can’t wait for her book!), Cane …oh Cane, how I love you (writing his book now), and even Angelle, in her awkward innocence was fun. I just love these characters J
Do you take any personal experiences and adapt them to your writing?
I definitely incorporate feelings and memories into my stories, in particular these books since I grew up in New Orleans. As for actual experiences…Emma’s school was my school, a lot of the descriptions were based on memories, and for the blindfold scene, my husband and I did eat a meal with our eyes closed so we could describe the smell, feel, and scent of everything even better.
And finally what can we expect to see from you in the future?
Soooo much! A Tale of Two Centuries, the companion novel to My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century, releases in August. Then in October, look for book 2 in my adult series (Cane’s book!), and in winter, look for book 3 in my Super Sweet series. Then in 2014, I have three, possibly four books being published. It’s a fun, crazy time!  
Getting to Know You – Quick Fire Round
Contemporary or Paranormal? Contemporary
Sci-Fi or Dystopia? Dystopia
Hardcopy or E-Book? E-book. I LOVE both, and as a homeschool mom I adore having real books around for my kids to pick up, but I’m addicted to the one-click
Bookmark or Dog-Ear? Dog-ear
Book or Movie? Book.
Chocolate or Vanilla? Candy: Chocolate. Ice cream: Vanilla ;)
Summer or Winter? Honey, it’s HOT in the summer down here in the South, so while I love the IDEA of the summer, bring on the winter!
Ice-Cream or Cake? Ice-cream
Coffee or Tea? Neither….but I’m addicted to Dt. Mt. Dew
Nice guy or bad boy? Both have their places. My favorites are either bad boys who choose to be good for the right girl but keep that slight yummy edge, OR nice guys who are still strong and know what they want and fight for it.
Thank you so much for being here on K-Books with us today.
Thank YOU for having me!!
 photo kayleigh.png

4 comments:

  1. RachelHarrisWrites8 July 2013 at 15:36

    Fabulous review, girl! Thank you SO much for reading and the fun questions!! You always make me smile <333

    Love you to pieces
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, Kay! I wanted to read Rachel's novel since I first heard about it- now I'm dying to read it!!!! Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna Christy Matalam8 July 2013 at 17:33

    Lovely interview and review! Can't wait to get started on it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hayson Manning9 July 2013 at 10:37

    Awesome review! I can't wait to read. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment