Wednesday, August 7

Spensations: Spotlight On... Stalked by Death


Hey Guys,
I'm so excited to reveal an exclusive feature for one of my favourite upcoming Spencer Hill Press releases...

I give you the second installment in the Touch of Death series.... Stalked by Death

Stalked by Death (Touch of Death #2)
Kelly Hashway

Published By: Spencer Hill Press
Publication Date: August 13, 2013
Genre: YA - Paranormal
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
Jodi knows that any slip-ups made by the Ophi--a special group of necromancers born under the 13th sign of the zodiac--will fall on her shoulders... and that Hades is just waiting for them to screw up so he can wipe out the Ophi line.

Unfortunately, Jodi has only convinced one Ophi to join her school: A hot guy named Chase who jeopardizes her relationship with Alex. Jodi loves Alex, but Chase can enhance her powers with just a touch—making her stronger than any Ophi has ever been.

Her mixed emotions send her powers surging out of control, and the dead start rising without her conscious summoning—exactly what Hades doesn't want! If she chooses Alex over Chase, she may lose the battle to Hades, leading the Ophi race to extinction. If she chooses Chase, she might be able to stop Hades for good… but lose everything else.

Jodi needs to figure things out fast--because death is stalking her at every turn

I am so beyond excited for this one. I absolutely adored the first book in the series Touch of Death and I am lucky enough to have this one sat on my shelf waiting for me. I can't wait to dive in and read it.

Now let's welcome the amazing Kelly Hashaway for an exclusive Spensations interview.

Hi Kelly
Thank you for being here on K-Books and joining me for this feature.

Thanks for having me, Kay!

Well I am such a massive fan of Spencer Hill Press, including the new imprints Spence City and Spencer Hill Contemporary. What’s it like being a part of the amazing Spencer Hill Press family?

When I first signed on with Spencer Hill Press, I was amazed by how friendly everyone was and the fact that everyone seemed to work seven days a week and on holidays. LOL They never stop. I’ve been lucky to meet the awesome SHP people in person and it’s seriously the best time ever. I couldn’t love my publishing house more. Seriously, SHP is great people publishing great books.

So you have a book, Stalked by Death coming out with Spencer Hill Press in August. How excited are you about releasing it into the world?

I’m really excited about this book. The stakes are higher, the tension is crazy, and the ending… I’ve said too much already!

So talk us through your typical writing routine.

I usually write from 8:45-2:45 during the week because my daughter is at school and my husband is at work, so I have hours of uninterrupted writing time. I like to listen to music before I write to put me in a creative mood, and once I start typing, I lose myself in the characters and the story until I’m forced to stop.

Is there any particular character that you enjoyed writing more than others?

I love Alex. He won me over in Touch of Death, and I love writing him. Jodi was tough for this book because she goes through such a range of emotions and I had to experience them with her, so it was emotionally draining some days. And there’s a certain character I hate more than any other character I’ve created. I’m not mentioning names though. ;)

Are there any particular scenes that you enjoy writing more than others?

Scenes with Alex. LOL I’m a little Alex obsessed. Seriously though, I love the Hades scenes. They are so much fun. (Sorry, Jodi!)

So your book is about Necromancers and Zombies. what inspired you to write about this?

I’ve always been fascinated by Necromancers and when I came across a myth about Medusa that would allow me to put a twist on the traditional Necromancer I had to run with it.

Talk us through what we can expect from Stalked by Death that maybe we didn’t see in the first installment, Touch of Death.

More everything! More zombies, more Hades, more Jodi screw-ups (no matter how hard she tries). But the best part about writing this sequel was that no characters were off limits—not even the ones who died in Touch of Death. That’s the beauty of having Necromancers for characters.

Stalked by Death is categorized as the Paranormal Romance genre. What made you decide to write in this genre?

I’ve loved paranormal since elementary school. I devoured books about anything related to the genre. It just seemed like our world only better. I was a huge Buffy the Vampire fan, and now I love Supernatural. Adding the romance aspect seemed natural because who doesn’t love a good romance?

So is there any inside information or sneak-peaks that you can give us?

Here’s a sneak peak at a Hades scene from Stalked by Death:

Hades emerged from the smoke and stared directly at me. “I think it’s about time we had a talk, Jodi Marshall.”
He was every bit as gorgeous as I remembered. Gorgeous in a completely terrifying way. After my first meeting with Hades, I’d discovered where the term “tall, dark, and handsome” came from. Why he chose to appear to me in this form, I didn’t know, but he certainly knew what my type was. Physically at least. His personality was horrifying.
“Hades, please, let me explain.” I put my hands up in surrender. “I didn’t know I was raising those souls.” I pointed to the bed. “I was asleep. Something is going on with my powers. I don’t know how to control them. But I released the souls. We worked together to get them back to you as soon as possible.” I had to get it all out before he interrupted. Before I lost my nerve.
“It’s not her fault.” Alex came to my rescue. “She’s trying to figure out what’s going wrong with her powers.”
Hades narrowed his eyes, and I felt them burning into me. Literally. My entire body felt like it was on fire, and I knew it would be that easy for him to kill me. I tried to cry out, but the pain in my throat wouldn’t allow it. I crumpled in Alex’s arms.
“Stop!” Alex yelled. “You’re killing her!”

And finally what can we expect from you in the future after Stalked by Death?

Face of Death releases in January 2014, and it’s the final book in the series, so things with Jodi and the other Ophi will wrap up, which makes me a little sad. But…The Monster Within is the first book in a new series I have coming out with Spencer Hill Press, and I think Touch of Death fans will really enjoy it.

Getting to Know You – Quick Fire Round

Contemporary or Paranormal? Paranormal
Sci-Fi or Dystopia? Dystopia
Hardcopy or E-Book? Both!
Bookmark or Dog-Ear? Dog-ear
Book or Movie? Book
Chocolate or Vanilla? Vanilla with rainbow sprinkles. ☺
Summer or Winter? Fall
Ice-Cream or Cake? Ice-cream cake!
Coffee or Tea? Coffee and then tea
Nice guy or bad boy? Bad boy for now and nice guy in the end

Thank you so much for being here on K-Books with us today.

Thank you for having me, Kay! So happy to be here.

Isn't she awesome?

Don't forget you can pre-order Stalked by Death now!


Look out for the next Spensations for an exclusive interview with Keshia Swaim, author of the upcoming Blood Bound.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me on your blog, Kayleigh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great interview! So fun to hear more about Kelly and her writing experience. I am always amazed at how much she gets done in a day. :) The quick facts at the end were awesome! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment