Saturday, October 3

Non-Review: The Sky is Everywhere

The Sky is Everywhere
Jandy Nelson

Published By: Dial Books
Publication Date: March 9, 2010
Date Read: July 26, 2015
Genre: YA - Contemporary
Source: Bought
Format: Hardback
Pages: 288
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
Seventeen-year-old Lennie Walker, bookworm and band geek, plays second clarinet and spends her time tucked safely and happily in the shadow of her fiery older sister, Bailey. But when Bailey dies abruptly, Lennie is catapulted to center stage of her own life - and, despite her nonexistent history with boys, suddenly finds herself struggling to balance two. Toby was Bailey's boyfriend; his grief mirrors Lennie's own. Joe is the new boy in town, a transplant from Paris whose nearly magical grin is matched only by his musical talent. For Lennie, they're the sun and the moon; one boy takes her out of her sorrow, the other comforts her in it. But just like their celestial counterparts, they can't collide without the whole wide world exploding.

This remarkable debut is perfect for fans of Sarah Dessen, Deb Caletti, and Francesca Lia Block. Just as much a celebration of love as it is a portrait of loss, Lennie's struggle to sort her own melody out of the noise around her is always honest, often hilarious, and ultimately unforgettable.

The Sky Is Everywhere is a book I have had sat on my shelf for a long time. I was gifted it years ago by a friend who loved this book so much and just wanted to spread the love and I really appreciated the book-love. It was only after being given a free copy of Jandy Nelson's new book I'll Give You The Sun that I finally decided to read this. I really wish that I had loved this book as much as my friend did but unfortunately I just didn't.

I don't know what it was about this book that I didn't gel with very well but I just could not connect with any of it really. I couldn't connect with the characters at all. I found the main character really annoying and I found the narration so unrealistic considering it was supposed to be a teen talking. I found the writing style very laborious. I understood that the main character was a bookworm but the amount of complex words used in narration was unrealistic to me. I was a bookworm as a teen and many of those words I have never heard of at all.

As I was reading this book my attention started to wander and I started switching off and daydreaming about other things. This was not a good sign and so I just quit while I was ahead. This type of writing was definitely not for me and I wasn't enjoying the story or characters ever so I did not finish this book. I highly doubt I will be reading I'll Give You The Sun. Jandy's books are just not my thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment