Wednesday, August 17

Review: Origins (Summoner #0.5)

Origins (Summoner #0.5)
Taran Matharu

Published By: Hodder Childrens Publishing
Publication Date: April 1, 2015
Date Read: July 18, 2016
Genre: YA - Fantasy
Source: Bought
Format: E-Book
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25256980-origins

From Goodreads:

The prequel to the explosive new fantasy trilogy, Summoner. Set in a time before The Novice, this prequel is the perfect introduction to the world of the Summoner.

Arcturus is just an orphaned stableboy when he discovers he has the ability to summon demons from another world. He is sent to Vocans Military Academy where the lost arts of summoning, spellcraft and demonology are taught to the noble children of the Empire. As the first commoner gifted with this ability, his discovery challenges the nobility and the powers that be. At the Academy Arcturus quickly makes enemies. With no one but his demon Sacharissa by his side, Arcturus must prove himself as a worthy Summoner ...

Last year while at YALC I was sat in a talk about some of the books and the awesome Taran Matahru was there talking about his book The Novice. I knew right away that it was something I would love but at the time only the hardback was available. I finally got around to getting the kindle edition and decided as I am off to YALC in a couple of weeks I would finally read it. Before reading The Novice I decided to read the prequel novella, Origins, first and I am so glad I did. I really enjoyed Origins it's a nice introduction to the world of Summoners and Demons and some of the characters that I'm sure are going to pop up in the first novel in this series.

Arcturus is just a normal stableboy... a commoner. The he discovers that he has the ability to summon demons, a gift that is only bestowed on the noble. Suddenly he is sent off to the prestigious Vocans Academy where he must learn how to become a Summoner. But the other students, and teachers, are less than thrilled by his appearance. A commoner who can summon demons... it's unheard of. An outrage. Arcturus soon finds himself surrounded by enemies and Vocans Academy is suddenly a very dangerous place.

I really enjoyed this novella. Right from the start I was sucked into this world of summoners and demons. I really liked the idea of demons like pets or familiars. I thought that was so unique and I found myself very quickly devouring this novella. Origins was like Harry Potter, with the school and classes to learn magic with a flair of How to Train Your Dragon with the demon familiars. If the series is going to continue with this I am really looking forward to them and it's bound to be an awesome series. I can't wait to read more.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment