Wednesday, January 25

Non-Review: The Year I Met You

The Year I Met You
Cecelia Ahern

Published By: Harper Collins
Publication Date: October 9, 2014
Date Read: December 17, 2016
Genre: Adult - Chick Lit
Source: Bought
Format: Hardback
Pages: 337
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23344960-the-year-i-met-you

From Goodreads:

A thoughtful, captivating and ultimately uplifting novel from this uniquely talented author
The year that changed my life. For Jasmine, losing her job felt like losing everything.
The year I found home. With a life built around her career and her beloved sister Heather, suddenly her world becomes the house and garden she has hardly seen and the neighbours she has yet to meet.
The year I met you. But being fired is just the beginning for Jasmine. In the year that unfolds she learns more about herself than she could ever imagine – and more about other people than she ever dreamed. Sometimes friendship is found in the most unexpected of places.

This review is actually killing me to write. I have been a humongous fan of Cecelia Ahern for around 10 years ever since I read her debut, PS, I Love You, when I was at sixth form. Since then I have read pretty much every book she has wrote and loved all of them. I was so excited for new stuff from Cecelia and I am absolutely devastated that I just couldn't get into this book.

I first started this book 2 years ago, when it was first released and I got around half way through, and I struggled through the first half. I tried to power through because it was a Cecelia Ahern book and I love Cecelia Ahern books. I decided that I just wasn't in the mood for the book and decided to try it at another point. I have now tried this book 3 different times and I just can't get through it. I am totally heartbroken about this as I have loved Cecelia's books so much.

Jasmine, our lead character just didn't grab me. I didn't really like any of the main characters and it's really hard for me to get into a book when I don't like, or care, about the characters. Their stories bored me and I just couldn't force myself to keep reading. This book to me, just seemed to lack the magic and beauty that Cecelia's previous books had.

I will definitely still be reading Cecelia's other books as I am convinced that this is just a one-off for me. I've loved all of her earlier books, and her new YA novel Flawed was amazing. The Year I Met You just wasn't for me and as much as I am devastated that I didn't like it I am looking forward to reading more of Cecelia's newer books. I have faith that the others will be better.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment