Wednesday, February 22

Review: Caraval (Caraval #1)

Caraval (Caraval #1)
Stephanie Garber

Published By: Hodder and Stroughton
Publication Date: January 31, 2017
Date Read: February 12, 2017
Genre: YA - Fantasy
Source: Bought
Format: Hardback
Pages: 402
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zps3cd819f5.png

From Goodreads:
Whatever you've heard about Caraval, it doesn't compare to the reality. It's more than just a game or a performance. It's the closest you'll ever find to magic in this world . . .

Welcome, welcome to Caraval―Stephanie Garber’s sweeping tale of two sisters who escape their ruthless father when they enter the dangerous intrigue of a legendary game.


Scarlett has never left the tiny island where she and her beloved sister, Tella, live with their powerful, and cruel, father. Now Scarlett’s father has arranged a marriage for her, and Scarlett thinks her dreams of seeing Caraval, the far-away, once-a-year performance where the audience participates in the show, are over.

But this year, Scarlett’s long-dreamt of invitation finally arrives. With the help of a mysterious sailor, Tella whisks Scarlett away to the show. Only, as soon as they arrive, Tella is kidnapped by Caraval’s mastermind organizer, Legend. It turns out that this season’s Caraval revolves around Tella, and whoever finds her first is the winner.

Scarlett has been told that everything that happens during Caraval is only an elaborate performance. But she nevertheless becomes enmeshed in a game of love, heartbreak, and magic with the other players in the game. And whether Caraval is real or not, she must find Tella before the five nights of the game are over, a dangerous domino effect of consequences is set off, and her sister disappears forever.

"Whatecer you've heard about Caraval, it doesn't compare to the reality. It's more that just a game or performance. It's the closest you'll ever find to magic in this world."

Caraval is a book that I have been dying to get my hands on for what feels like forever. I first heard about it when I was at YALC 2016 and the girls at the Chapter 5 stall were telling me all about it. I just knew from that moment that I had to read this book. I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. This book was stunning, beautiful and just moving. I adored every moment of it.

Scarlett has always dreamed of seeing the wonderful and mystical Caraval. A travelling performance where the audience participate in the show. It's filled with magic and intrigue and mystery and everything that Scarlett has ever wanted. But when she and her beloved sister get there and her sister goes missing the game becomes much more serious and desperate than Scarlett could have ever imagined it to be. Can Scarlett find her sister before the rest of the players or before her sister disappears?

Right from the start of this book I couldn't put it down. I really loved everything about it. The story is incredible and Stephanie's narration is just gorgeous. It's very hard for me to believe that this is Stephanie' debut novel. I felt like her narration and storytelling is utterly stunning. This book is wrote in such a lyrical and beautiful way I just couldn't stop reading. I loved every moment of it.

Caraval was jam packed with everything that I love in YA books. Beautiful writing, fantastic characters, an action packed plot and a slow-burning romance. It was such a unique and beautiful story. I would recommend this to anyone. I loved every single moment of it.

If you're looking for a new novel that's unique and a stunning addictive storyline then Caraval is the book for you. I am so excited that it is a series and I cannot wait for book 2 to come out. A definite must-read.

"She imagined loving him would feel like falling in love with darkness, frightening and consuming yet utterly beautiful when the stars came out."


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment