Wednesday, May 10

Review: Before I Fall

Before I Fall
Lauren Oliver

Published By: Hodder and Straughton
Publication Date: July 22, 2010
Date Read: February 26, 2017
Genre: YA - Contemporary
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 344
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7788360-before-i-fall

From Goodreads:
They say ‘live every day as if it’s your last’—but you never actually think it's going to be. At least I didn't.

The thing is, you don’t get to know when it happens. You don’t remember to tell your family that you love them or—in my case—remember to say goodbye to them at all.

But what if, like me, you could live your last day over and over again? Could you make it perfect? If your whole life flashed before your eyes, would you have no regrets? Or are there some things you’d want to change...?

"Here's another thing to remember: hope keeps you alive. Even when you're dead, it's the only thing that keeps you alive."

Before I Fall is a book that has been sat on my bookshelf for what feels like forever. After seeing the trailer for the movie adaptation I finally decided to give this one a go. I am now totally kicking myself for not reading this book sooner. I fell head over heels in love with this book. I just couldn't put it down.

Before I Fall tells the story of Sam, a teenage girl who is in a car accident with her friends only to wake up the following day reliving the same day again. Sam is stuck in a sort of time-loop, reliving the day over and over again and she needs to find out why. Can she save herself? Or is it someone else that she needs to save?

Sam was a very interesting character to follow through this story. I wasn't really a big fan of her at first. I enjoyed reading about her but she was kind of a bitch. She is the epitome of popular mean girl in an American high school. However the more she experiences the same day over and over the more she grows as a character and realises that her actions previously are unacceptable and what effect her actions have on the other kids. By the end of the book I really liked her and all I wanted was for her to have a happy ending.

Lauren Oliver is fast becoming an author I loved. Prior to this book I had read Delirium, which I loved and Panic, which I also liked. Her writing style is just so mesmerising and addictive. I loved every moment of this book and the more I read the more I just couldn't put it down. Lauren sucked me in with her amazing story telling skills and I couldn't wait to see what was going to happen.

Before I Fall is definitely one of the most emotional books I have read in a while. The more I read the more I fell in love with this story and these characters and the more I needed things to work out for them. It's such a moving story and tackles such hard issues such as bullying, depression and suicide. These are hard topics to tackle in a YA novel but Lauren does is effortlessly with a lot of tact. She is the perfect author to tackle these hard issues as she does it in such a real yet sensitive way.

Before I Fall was a phenomenal novel and I am so happy I finally read it. I can't wait to see the movie of this book and I really hope that they do it justice because it's such a fantastic book. If you're looking for a contemporary novel that is emotional, sensitive and beautiful then this is the book for you. Read it. You won't be disappointed.

"Maybe you can afford to wait. Maybe for you there's a tomorrow. Maybe for you there's one thousand tomorrows, or three thousand, or ten, so much time you can bathe in it, roll around it, let it slide like coins through you fingers. So much time you can waste it.
But for some of us there's only today. And the truth is, you never really know."



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment