Wednesday, May 31

Review: What's a Girl Gotta Do? (Spinster Club #3)

What's A Girl Gotta Do? (Spinster Club #3)
Holly Bourne

Published By: Usbourne Publishing
Publication Date: August 1, 2016
Date Read: April 11, 2017
Genre: YA - Contemporary Romance
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 432
 photo AddtoGoodreads.png

From Goodreads:
HOW TO START A FEMINIST REVOLUTION:

1. Call out anything that is unfair on one gender

2. Don't call out the same thing twice (so you can sleep and breathe)

3. Always try to keep it funny

4. Don't let anything slide. Even when you start to break...

Lottie's determined to change the world with her #Vagilante vlog. Shame the trolls have other ideas...

Holly Bourne has fast become one of my all time favourite authors. I fell head over heels in love with her books ever since devouring her debut, Soulmates and have since loved every single one of her books since. I was super excited to read Lottie's story as in the previous Spinster Club books I have found her utterly hilarious. Unfortunately I just didn't click with Lottie as I did Evie and Amber in the previous books and What's A Girl Gotta Do? ended up being my least favourite of the series.

What's A Girl Gotta Do? tells Lottie's story on her journey of starting a feminist revolution. She is determined to call out every single sexist thing that she sees for a whole month. This book has everything that I would love in a book. Such great messages through the feminism but I just felt like Lottie was a bit too 'out-there' and I found her sometimes to be a bit much and it stopped me from connecting with her as I did with the other girls. I just didn't associate with her and that makes it difficult for me to love a book if I don't identify and love the main character.

One thing that I love in contemporary books is the hints of romance. I adore a good romance and unfortunately I just found the one in this book a little lacking. I know the book is aimed to be a feminist book, which is awesome, but I just couldn't get into it as well as the others and I feel like it's because the romance takes a back seat in this one. This usually isn't an issue. Take Am I Normal Yet? as an example, the romance was very much a backseat in that one and I loved it but something about this one made me not connect as much and it didn't have that 'un-put-downable' quality that Holly's other novels have had. At times I found myself getting a little bit bored.

What's A Girl Gotta Do? is a good feminist book which I'm sure will be a major hit with fans of feminist novels and Holly's books. Unfortunately this one just wasn't for me but I can't wait to see what Holly writes about next.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment