Wednesday, June 28

Review: The Handmaid's Tale

The Handmaid's Tale
Margaret Atwood

Published By: Vintage Books
Publication Date: July 5, 2007 (Originally published 1985)
Date Read: May 28, 2017
Genre: Adult - Dystopia
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 324
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/820689.The_Handmaid_s_Tale
From Goodreads:
Offred is a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead. She may leave the home of the Commander and his wife once a day to walk to food markets whose signs are now pictures instead of words because women are no longer allowed to read. She must lie on her back once a month and pray that the Commander makes her pregnant, because in an age of declining births, Offred and the other Handmaids are valued only if their ovaries are viable. Offred can remember the years before, when she lived and made love with her husband, Luke; when she played with and protected her daughter; when she had a job, money of her own, and access to knowledge. But all of that is gone now...

This is possibly the hardest review I've ever had to write. The Handmaid's Tale is such a classic book and one that I have been curious about for such a long time. It's classed as one of the original dystopia novels and I am such a big loved of dystopia. I finally decided to read The Handmaid's Tale after the new television adaptation starting. This was without a doubt the strangest book I think I have ever read. It is such a bizarre story.

Rates of fertility have been decreasing for years and now almost all women are barren. Those who have been found to be fertile are taken and made to become Handmaiden to the ruling class of the Republic of Gilead. Offred is one of those handmaiden's. Her job is to walk to the food markets and like on her back hoping that the commander will make her pregnant. But Offred can remember before. When she lived with her loving husband and beautiful daughter...

The Handmaid's Tale was just utterly bizarre. It wasn't even just the story, which FYI I found the most weird dystopia story I have ever come across. I just didn't get it. And the writing just didn't grab me. Honestly it was such a struggle to get through this book. I was bored through the majority of it and I don't really know what it was that kept me reading but I did indeed finish it. It was just utterly bizarre.

Honestly, I didn't really enjoy this book. I didn't associate with the characters, I wasn't taken by the story and I certainly wasn't emotionally invested in this novel as I usually am in novels. It was just so strange. I understand that this is such a well-loved book but I just didn't like it all that much. I felt rather indifferent. I could have stopped reading and I wouldn't have been wondering about what happened at all. I didn't feel like I got any answers from the ending either. I was left with a feeling of 'well why did I bother continuing'.

I really wanted to love this book. So many people do and I really wish I was one of them but it just wasn't. I just didn't click with this book at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment