Wednesday, June 7

Review: A Monster Calls

A Monster Calls 
Patrick Ness

Published By: Walker Books
Publication Date: May 5, 2011
Date Read: May 13, 2017
Genre: Middle Grade - Fantasy
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 237
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25480342-a-monster-calls
From Goodreads:
The bestselling novel about love, loss and hope from the twice Carnegie Medal-winning Patrick Ness.

Conor has the same dream every night, ever since his mother first fell ill, ever since she started the treatments that don't quite seem to be working. But tonight is different. Tonight, when he wakes, there's a visitor at his window. It's ancient, elemental, a force of nature. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Conor. It wants the truth.

Patrick Ness takes the final idea of the late, award-winning writer Siobhan Dowd and weaves an extraordinary and heartbreaking tale of mischief, healing and above all, the courage it takes to survive.

"Stories are wild creatures. When you let them loose, who knows what havoc they might wreak?"

A Monster Calls is a book that has been on my shelf and I've been wondering for well over a year now whether to actually read this book or not. I am not such a huge Patrick Ness fan to be honest. I know, I know, don't start throwing things at me. I tried to read his Chaos Walking series and it was a really weird book for me. I started off enjoying it and then grew really really bored of it. Because of this I was incredibly hesitant to pick up this book and to be honest I only did because I am challeging myself to read all of the books that are features as Zoella book club reads and this was one of them. Honestly, I shouldn't have been hesitant to pick up this book because it was absolutely stunning. I read it in one sitting and couldn't put it down.

Conor is our main protagonist. A 13 year old boy whose mother is gravely ill and her treatments don't seem to be working. He is used to being the boy that all the other kids look at with pity. He's the boy with the ill and bald mother. He does everything for his mother and dreams of the day when the treatments will work and she will be okay. At night Conor starts getting visits from a monster each night and it wants the one thing Conor is the most scared of to tell. It wants the truth.

I absolutely adored this book. It is such a beautiful, heartfelt and heartbreaking book. It made me feel so many things and while I felt like something terrible was going to happen in the end and I was totally dreading it, at the same time I couldn't put the book down. Patrick totally drew me in with his wonderful story telling. I loved every single moment of it.

A Monster Calls is beautiful, real and utterly heartbreaking. I haven't read a book that made me sob so hard in a long long time. In fact, I don't think a book has ever made me sob that much... apart from Malorie Blackman's Noughts and Crosses maybe (man that book is a heartbreaker). At one point I had to stop reading for a minute or two as I couldn't see the page my tears were coming so hard and fast. I was utterly broken. But at the same time the book is such a beautiful story of facing the horrible and looking to the future and healing from the worst thing you could ever imagine happening to you.

If you're a fan of Patrick Ness books this is a definite must-read for you. If you're not I urge you to give it a go anyway. I'm not entirely sure if I will pick up another book by him. I'm not ruling it out but I'm unsure if they are something that I want to read, but I am so so glad that I gave this gorgeous gem of a book a chance. It was stunning, moving and beautiful. A must-read for anyone and everyone of all ages.

"You do not write your life with words...You write it with actions. What you think is not important. It is only important what you DO."


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment