Wednesday, August 30

Review: A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic #1)

A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic #1)
VE Schwab

Published By: Titan Books
Publication Date: February 24, 2015
Date Read: July 5, 2017
Genre: Adult - Fantasy
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 401
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24845064-a-darker-shade-of-magic
From Goodreads:
Kell is one of the last Antari—magicians with a rare, coveted ability to travel between parallel Londons; Red, Grey, White, and, once upon a time, Black.

Kell was raised in Arnes—Red London—and officially serves the Maresh Empire as an ambassador, traveling between the frequent bloody regime changes in White London and the court of George III in the dullest of Londons, the one without any magic left to see.

Unofficially, Kell is a smuggler, servicing people willing to pay for even the smallest glimpses of a world they'll never see. It's a defiant hobby with dangerous consequences, which Kell is now seeing firsthand.

After an exchange goes awry, Kell escapes to Grey London and runs into Delilah Bard, a cut-purse with lofty aspirations. She first robs him, then saves him from a deadly enemy, and finally forces Kell to spirit her to another world for a proper adventure.

Now perilous magic is afoot, and treachery lurks at every turn. To save all of the worlds, they'll first need to stay alive.

"I'd rather die on an adventure than live standing still."

A Darker Shade of Magic is a book I have seen everywhere for such a long time. I bought the series a little over a year ago as VE Schwab was going to YALC and it was one of my YALC 2016 TBR... but still I didn't read it. I had read and loved Victoria's other books Vicious and This Savage Song and it was well past time I finally read this series. Dude why did I not read this book sooner? I absolutely loved this book. It is just unbelieavable amazing!!

In a world filled with magic there are four overlapping worlds, with the most prominant city of London. Grey London is a dying world where magic no longer exists. Red London is brimming with magic. White London is dying for a taste of the magic of Red London and Black London no longer exists after magic has consumed it. Kell is special. He is one of the last Antari's. People with the power to walk between the worlds. But Kell also smuggles things from one world to another, and when one transaction goes wrong it could have life threatening consequences.

I freaking loved this book. I absolutely adore VE Schwab. She is fast becoming one of my all time favourite authors. She's just utterly phenomenal. Right from the very first word I was enamoured with this world and these characters. The more I read the more I wanted to read faster and faster so I could find out what was going to happen. She has definitely sealed herself on my auto-buy authors list. I don't even need to know what her books are about, I will read anything this amazing woman writes.

I absolutely loved the two main characters in A Darker Shade of Magic. They are such an unlikely pair to be companions but it worked so well. Kell was an amazing character who only wants to protect his family and the worlds and when he meets Lila, the unlikely companion from another world, it really changes his perceptions of everything. I loved Lila she is such a kickass character and I loved her attitude towards everything. She has this insane love of knives and everywhere she goes she ends up getting a new knife. This shows her amazing and heartbreaking back story of having to protect herself from such a young age. She was a great character to follow throughout the storyline.

A Darker Shade of Magic is filled to the brim with magic, mystery, action and adventure. I loved every single second of it. I was a little disappointed to see no romance in this book, as I am a sucker for a romance hidden behind all the magic in fantasy books but this book is so action packed that you have much more to keep you occupied so I didn't miss it as much as I would in other books. However I would really like to see a little bit of romance come into the series in future books.

A Darker Shade of Magic is a fantastic start to a series, and I fell head over heels in love with this series and it's characters. I cannot wait to see what it going to happen next and I will be jumping straight into book 2. If you're looking for a new series to take you on an amazing adventure then look no further. This book is definitely worth the read.

"Some thought magic came from the mind, others the soul, or the heart, or the will. But Kell knew it came from the blood."


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment